Solving Ray Optics Problem 2: Mirror Positions and Image Formation

In summary, friends when the lower mirror would be at position 'A', which is moving in the upward direction, the img of the source 'S' will be at position (I') as shown in the figure below. And and after some time when the mirror will be at position 'B' the same ray will make the img of the source and the new position (I'). Then, when the mirror is at position 'C', the same ray will make the img of the source and the new position (I').
thunderhadron
Hi friends,
Please help me in answering this problem

The problem is as follows,

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s480x480/11130_2937865262994_1085043361_n.jpg

Well,
Friends when the lower mirror would be at position 'A', which is moving in the upward direction, the img of the source 'S' will be at position (I') as shown in the figure below. And and after some time when the mirror will be at position 'B' the same ray will make the img of the source and the new position (I').
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/60754_2937792661179_1384286388_n.jpg

Hence the answer of the question should be option (A). But in the book the answer of the problem is given options (B) & (D)

Please friends help me in this problem.
Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have only drawn what happens to one ray in the point source - draw in the others.
OR you can try it with an LED.

... that was a little terse.
Imagine the mirror in position A in your diagram, put a detector at the place the ray ends up. The detector goes off - fine.

Move the mirror to position B, will the detector go off?
The same angle ray won't set it off, but that is not the only ray coming from the source.
Is there another ray that will set the detector off?

Think about the spot of light - where is it centered? How does the brightness fall off towards the edge? Is there anywhere you could put the detector and not detect any light?

thunderhadron said:
Hi friends,
Please help me in answering this problem

The problem is as follows,

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s480x480/11130_2937865262994_1085043361_n.jpg

Well,
Friends when the lower mirror would be at position 'A', which is moving in the upward direction, the img of the source 'S' will be at position (I') as shown in the figure below. And and after some time when the mirror will be at position 'B' the same ray will make the img of the source and the new position (I').
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/60754_2937792661179_1384286388_n.jpg

Hence the answer of the question should be option (A). But in the book the answer of the problem is given options (B) & (D)

Please friends help me in this problem.
Thank you very much in advance.

The two rays you have drawn, while correct, are not helping with the solution.

You need 4 other rays.

A ray from S to the left end of mirror in position A - then trace on to the wall
A ray from S to the left end of mirror in position B - then trace it to the wall.

Then do two rays - one each to the right hand ends of the mirror in position A and B.

Consider what happens to the incident angle when the normal is kept at the same position on the mirror.

What is Ray Optics?

Ray Optics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of light as it travels through transparent materials such as air, water, and glass.

What is a Mirror Position?

A mirror position refers to the location of a mirror in relation to an object and an observer. It is an important factor in determining the position and characteristics of an image formed by the mirror.

How do you solve Ray Optics Problem 2?

To solve Ray Optics Problem 2, you need to first determine the mirror position and the distance between the object and the mirror. Then, you can use the mirror equation (1/f = 1/p + 1/q) to find the position of the image. Finally, you can use the magnification equation (m = -q/p) to find the size of the image.

What is Image Formation?

Image formation refers to the process of how light rays reflect off a mirror and create an image of an object. The position and characteristics of the image are determined by the mirror position and the distance between the object and the mirror.

What are the different types of images formed by mirrors?

There are two types of images formed by mirrors: real images and virtual images. Real images are formed when light rays actually converge at a point, while virtual images are formed when light rays appear to converge at a point but do not actually do so. Real images can be projected onto a screen, while virtual images cannot be projected.