Workplace Hazard: Beware of Black Bear in Lot A

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hazard
In summary: Don't speak in a high pitched voice or wave your arms around like a crazy person. Continue to leave the area.One that can't outrun you. Phone for a pizza delivery and as the delivery guy is messing in his van / bag / whatever run like hell to your car and hope the bear is distracted by the beautiful aroma of peperoni and goes for the pizzas (as a starter and then has the delivery guy for the main course). Combat pay if you have to get around a bear to and from work!In summary, all employees at my work were warned yesterday of a bear spotted in the parking lot. Some employees were given instructions on how to act in case of an encounter. If you come face
OCR said:
o:) awesome! Thank you for the helpful link.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the helpful link.

... :smile:

OCR

It is a normal workday in Canada, and I just received this email

Hello,

Please be advised there is a large black bear between the NSC and the Administration building. It has just ran into the forest area beside the Administration building.

Please us caution and be aware of your surroundings when walking on campus.

My daughter and I were walking around campus earlier today, mainly inside, but we spent a little time outside. I get off/wait for the bus beside the administration building.

First bear at work of the season:
Please be aware there is a bear near the entrance to the Northern Sport Centre. Please use caution when walking around campus and be aware of your surroundings.

Regards,
Facilities Management

Likes Psinter and edward
This one showed up a bit early this year.

George Jones said:
First bear at work of the season:
Wow. I like this :woot:. I'm a very curious person and I'll be 100% honest with you. I receive and email like that and I want go to the place to see it in person (with friends of course). I've never seen a bear. If I was your working partner I would tell you: "Let's go see it!" :woot: :nb) But from the distance. Don't tell my mom though, that we went to see a bear. The consequences of she getting word of it could be catastrophic.

And then I would brag: I saw a bear! :biggrin:

Second bear at work this season,

There has been a bear sighting on the road beside Daycare. Please use caution at all times when walking around campus as there are not only bears but also moose on the trails and in the bush surrounding the campus. Please take the time to visit the WildSafe BC site at https://wildsafebc.com to learn more about reducing the human-wildlife conflicts that occur when unprepared. Thank you

This is where I work. The city is off the bottom of the picture, down a a large hill.

aerial01-1522.jpg

Third bear report at work this season,

There has just been a sighting of two bear cubs on the trail near Daycare so the mother bear will also be nearby. Please use caution at all times when walking around campus as there are not only bears but also moose on the trails and in the bush surrounding the campus.

I posted the picture above to indicate why we get wildlife wandering into our campus.

Fourth bear report at work this season,

There is a large bear that has been frequenting the area of the recycling bins in Parking Lot A and the NSC. This bear shows absolutely no fear of humans; the conservation office have been contacted.

I received this email just as I was about to go out for a walk on a route that would have taken me between Parking Lot A and the NSC!

George, is there an unusual number of bears on campus this year? Or are they early? Or both numerous and early? My husband and I were just talking about how this year's warm winter might affect wildlife -- more specifically, wildlife we have to be concerned about while hiking.

Down here in Washington, we've lost most of our snowpack already. It's going to be a dry summer - I don't even want to imagine what the end of August will look like :nb).

George Jones said:
Fourth bear report at work this season,<Snip>
Yes, but it is a _Canadian_ bear. If you invade his personal space, or go near his/her cubs, the bear will, at worse, growl: "good day, sir!", then will apologize for being so rude to you and give you a maple -glazed donut.

Likes Tsu and russ_watters
First bear at work this season,

Reports have just been received concerning a large black bear that has been sighted around the recycling bins at the back of Parking Lot A Please use caution at all times when walking around campus