Tattoos and Piercings in academia and beyond

• Thread starter HayleySarg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academia
In summary: I don't know, seems like a bad idea to me.The arrows are actually part of the jewelry, and they are real.
Of course there are some companies and certain environments where that is perfectly ok to do. On the other side of things there are companies were wearing certain 'non-professional' clothing will bring unneeded negativity. My current job is rather strict sense it is a government agency. My previous job was extremely strict and it was private. Image was very important to the firm, and looking like you made millions and owned a private jet mattered a lot. The key idea to take away is that you will limit yourself the more extreme you want to get. That's a choice you will have to make it.

For the record, wearing your piercings at my office would get you fired. We have people who have them, but to wear them at work is considered unprofessional. If you want to make a statement, make it on your own time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do people associate professionalism with tattoos? I can't speak about piercings because I have none, but I am heavily tattooed. Full sleeve on my left arm, bright and colorful, half sleeve on my right arm, my chest and half of my back. I am working class and proud of it, but I am also a professional. I am the parts manager at a Ford dealership. I have meetings with the owner weekly, I have been to regional meetings and shook hands with CEO's from Ford Motor Co. Not one person has looked down on it negatively, I get more questions then anything else. I compare it socially to technology, a lot of "old timers" got passed up by technology, assuming the same thing applies to these kind of social situations maybe?

Swegner99 said:
Why do people associate professionalism with tattoos? I can't speak about piercings because I have none, but I am heavily tattooed. Full sleeve on my left arm, bright and colorful, half sleeve on my right arm, my chest and half of my back. I am working class and proud of it, but I am also a professional. I am the parts manager at a Ford dealership. I have meetings with the owner weekly, I have been to regional meetings and shook hands with CEO's from Ford Motor Co. Not one person has looked down on it negatively, I get more questions then anything else. I compare it socially to technology, a lot of "old timers" got passed up by technology, assuming the same thing applies to these kind of social situations maybe?
They're going to be more understanding of a car parts manager having tatoos, they understand your position in the company, though they won't be inviting you to cocktails with them at the country club the next day. Look at management, I"ll bet they don't have any. Don't fool yourself that your tattoos weren't a sign that you weren't one of them. That's the way it is.

I think once you have the job, no one is going to really fire you for them because obviously they felt it wasn't an issue for the environment. However, that isn't really the point. The idea is how does it limit you getting the job in the first place. As stated before, yes there are a good number of places where you can work with a sleeve and be ok. I have a sleeve and it's ok, I just have to keep it covered up. However, there are tons of places out there where people will not provide you the offer because of how you look and the prejudice they have towards tattoos. Yes, I do believe that younger generation are coming around to tattoos, but even so, I don't think that a lot of younger generation would want to see their financial planner with heavily tattooed arms and hand, or their police chief that way. The point is to realize that if you decide to get yourself ink, you have to realize that there will exist jobs that are now closed to you and you have to be ok with that. If you don't want that, then don't get inked. Yes, it is unfair, maybe unreasonable, and maybe a generational gap, but the fact of that matter is that how the current reality is.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't care about one's appearance, just as long as one is proficient and technically competent. But then that's just me.

People that may have crossed the line.

Attachments

• piercings red guy.jpg
    piercings red guy.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 411
  • piercings wedding.jpg
    piercings wedding.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 408
  • piercings 1.jpg
    piercings 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 352
and...

Attachments

• piercings most-pierced-woman.jpg
    piercings most-pierced-woman.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 396
  • piercings 2.jpg
    piercings 2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 347
  • piercings 3.jpg
    piercings 3.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 354
Evo said:
:rofl: Somehow I doubt that they are proficient and competent in the areas of interest.

Evo said:
No kiddin' haha ... to coin an old phrase ... " what was your first clue?" ;)

I don't mind seeing a few tats on people, some the art is amazing showing an incredible ability of the tattoo artist!

When I was young and stupid ( now I'm just old and silly ;) ) I did a tat on my forearm that I lived to regret and for many years intended to remove it ... well about 4 months ago I decided to cover it with a more appropriate tat.
And to keep with one of my pastimes ... Stormchasing, I got this done...

attachment.php?attachmentid=60063&stc=1&d=1372901824.jpg

and have been seriously considering getting an erupting volcano on my other forearm to
note my other passion of geology

come on Astronuc, we will take a trip to the piercer together, you can have your ear redone and I can get my ear done for the first time ;)

Dave

Attachments

• IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 502
davenn said:
come on Astronuc, we will take a trip to the piercer together, you can have your ear redone and I can get my ear done for the first time ;)

Dave
Yeah - one of these days.

BTW - I have plenty of scars from sharp or hot objects and glass.

My early years were high impact.

There's a book by Carl Zimmer titled "Science Ink" that goes into detail about scientists that have tattoos, or people who are aspiring to be scientists. It isn't worth the price (It's hardcover with fancy writing which means $$$), but if you get a chance to look through it, there are some really neat ideas. I think the book is trying to dispel some of the prejudice concerning tattoos in the scientific community. Although I can't say I've heard too many stories of people getting fired over tattoos or piercings, rather than sheer incompetence.

I don't have any problem with people having tattoos, so long as they realize there will be people who might not like them (depending on what they are, e.g., a rotting corpse on fire). Piercings seem like a hazard, but I can't think of a moment where they were actually a hazard, so I have no problem with them either.

I don't think a tattoo is indicative of a person's work ethic, so I have no reason to discriminate based on that notion.

I don't think a tattoo is indicative of a person's work ethic, so I have no reason to discriminate based on that notion.

That is a good point, since it probably is so true. One does not need a tattoo to have a crappy attitude at the workplace.

The problem that I find is that with the tattoo industry growing, and as more shops open up, the level of artist may be declining. A really good artist can command 90$ a hour or more and create some fabulous designs advise clients, and be proud of the creation. Others just create crap, churn it out only for the money, a dime a dozen.

Myself, I would see a person with a nicely done tattoo as having a discriminatory mind with a sense of making selective choices. A bad tattoo reflects upon me as someone who may be more impulsive and lacking judgement somewhat.

That goes without saying what excessive coverage makes me feel since I still am in some kind of quandary about what drives those people, not from a judgemental aspect but from a lack of a comprehensive understanding of the motivation behind it.

I used to be a bit :bugeye: at tattoos and piercings, but not anymore. I live in a small college town so I see the spectrum of body art. It's normal to me now and it's becoming more accepted in society in general.

I have a tattoo, my husband has one, my daughter has one (in progress). For each of us, it was a symbolic gesture, with special meaning.

Mine is about realizing that a struggle I've had all my life is going to stay with me all my life. There is no real resolution to this struggle, and that's OK.

My husband's is to commemorate climbing Mt Rainier. He said it was the hardest thing he's ever done but he was successful.

My daughter's is an homage to Darwin, and a reminder to trust reason over magical thinking.

I've worked with plenty of untattooed, uninked people who are basically deadwood types and leave me wondering how they survived the last two waves of layoffs. In my experience, there is no correlation between the quality of a person's character or work ethic, and what is or is not on their skin.