Can My Ideas Be Stolen or Plagiarized From These Forums?

• Thread starter Sagan_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the conversation involves a person asking about posting a topic on exact differential equations that they have derived while idle at their job. They mention that they are self-taught in mathematics and believe their ideas may be original. The other person advises them to share their ideas and join the community, as it is unlikely that their ideas are both original and correct. They also suggest testing the waters by discussing partial or derivative aspects of their ideas to get feedback.
Sagan_
I am asking this question because I am interested in posting a topic on exact differential equations which I derived while idle at my job. Given that I am self-taught in mathematics, many of my ideas are likely to be original. They do not overturn conventional knowledge, for they are grounded in current theory, and I am interested in discussing this and other topics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sagan_ said:
Given that I am self-taught in mathematics, many of my ideas are likely to be original.

Actually, the exact opposite is MUCH more likely. Given that you are self-taught, you are less likely to know what has already been done.

see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=131804

Sagan_ said:
I am asking this question because I am interested in posting a topic on exact differential equations which I derived while idle at my job. Given that I am self-taught in mathematics, many of my ideas are likely to be original. They do not overturn conventional knowledge, for they are grounded in current theory, and I am interested in discussing this and other topics.

I can tell you this, if you don't share your "original" ideas somewhere, the development of your thoughts are likely to stall faster than a 777 flying into the SF airport. If you are self-taught and closed off from an interactive community, your work is 1) likely full of holes, and 2) has probably already been derived long ago and passed on, which is why you can't find any current literature on it. So you think it's original. My advice is to save some time and join the community.

I mentioned in a thread a while back about this "aspiring" songwriter that walked into a friend of mines recording studio and wanted a publishing deal on the spot because his songs were so great and original. He was sure he was the next Bob Dylan. Sounds great so far, but the guy wouldn't let anyone even listen to the songs until he had a signed contract because he was afraid the songs would get stolen. It took about 10 seconds for my buddy to show this guy the door after lots of belly laughter. Needless to say, 10 years later and nobody's heard from him since.

Sagan_ said:
If we stipulate, for the sake of answering your question, that your ideas have merit, then, yes, some person might conceivably plagiarize them. An anonymous lurker, for example, could easily take someone's idea and then later claim to have no knowledge of PhysicsForums, and to have thought the thing up separately, themself. (Yes, I said "themself.")

DiracPool said:
I can tell you this, if you don't share your "original" ideas somewhere, the development of your thoughts are likely to stall faster than a 777 flying into the SF airport.

:yuck: Too soon.

It's unlikely your idea is original or even correct, so you may as well post it. If you think it's both, then submit it for publication.

FlexGunship said:
:yuck: Too soon.

Sorry :redface:

dipole said:
It's unlikely your idea is original or even correct, so you may as well post it. If you think it's both, then submit it for publication.

Another thing you can do is "test the waters." Take some partial or derivative aspect of your ideas and test them against the group here. If you choose carefully, you won't be giving anything away but will get some kind of idea if you're on the right track or if you may be way off.

1. Can others steal my ideas if I share them on these forums?

Yes, there is a possibility that someone could steal your ideas if you share them on these forums. However, it is important to remember that ideas cannot be copyrighted, so the person would have to use your exact words or written work in order for it to be considered plagiarism.

2. How can I protect my ideas from being stolen on these forums?

One way to protect your ideas is to be selective in what you share on these forums. Only share enough information to get feedback or input, but not enough to fully disclose your idea. You can also consider using a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) before sharing any sensitive information.

3. Are there any legal measures I can take if someone does steal my ideas from these forums?

If someone does plagiarize your work from these forums, you can take legal action by filing a copyright infringement claim. However, it is important to have evidence and documentation of your original idea and its publication on the forums.

4. What steps can I take to prevent my ideas from being plagiarized on these forums?

In addition to being selective in what you share and using NDAs, you can also include a copyright notice or disclaimer when posting your ideas on these forums. This can serve as a deterrent to others who may be considering using your ideas without permission.

5. Is it safe to share my ideas on these forums?

While there is always a risk of someone stealing your ideas, it is generally safe to share your ideas on these forums. Just be cautious and mindful of what you share and take necessary precautions to protect your work. Remember that these forums are meant for collaboration and idea-sharing, so try not to let fear of plagiarism hinder your participation.