Need help with a simple integral proof

In summary, the area of a piecewise graph is always less than the area of a function that is represented the same way.
tolove
f is a positive decreasing function of x, f(n) = an for all n:

[itex]\int\stackrel{n+1}{1} f(x) dx[/itex] [itex]\leq[/itex] a[itex]_{1}[/itex] + a[itex]_{2}[/itex] + [itex]\cdots[/itex] + a[itex]_{n}[/itex]

Why is this true? I think I'm missing a fundamental understanding of summation, since the reasoning for this step was left out in my book.

[edited out some nonsense]

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write the left side of the inequality as [itex]\int^{2}_{1}f(x)dx+\int^{3}_{2}f(x)dx+\dots\int^{n+1}_{n}f(x)dx[/itex] and the right side as [itex]\int^{2}_{1}a_{1}dx+\int^{3}_{2}a_{2}dx+\dots\int^{n+1}_{n}a_{n}dx[/itex] and show that each term on the LHS is smaller than the corresponding term on the RHS. Note that [itex]\int^{b}_{a}f(x)dx\leq\int^{b}_{a}g(x)dx[/itex] if [itex]f(x)\leq g(x)[/itex] on interval [a,b].

hilbert2 said:
Write the left side of the inequality as [itex]\int^{2}_{1}f(x)dx+\int^{3}_{2}f(x)dx+\dots\int^{n+1}_{n}f(x)dx[/itex] and the right side as [itex]\int^{2}_{1}a_{1}dx+\int^{3}_{2}a_{2}dx+\dots\int^{n+1}_{n}a_{n}dx[/itex] and show that each term on the LHS is smaller than the corresponding term on the RHS. Note that [itex]\int^{b}_{a}f(x)dx\leq\int^{b}_{a}g(x)dx[/itex] if [itex]f(x)\leq g(x)[/itex] on interval [a,b].

Alright. I've got this, I think.

In order to make sense of the series, I should represent it as a piecewise graph with height an and a width Δx, where Δx is always 1. The area of each piece of such a graph will be an*Δx, which is just an.

If Ʃ an is continuous, etc, then I can compare it to a function, f. f(x) is always going to dip underneath (in the case of decreasing functions) or be equal to the horizontal line y = an for each interval. Thus the area of f(x) is always less than the area of the piecewise graph. And, when calculating the area of f(x), I need to go out one more step, n+1, since the Δx from the piecewise graph steps out one further.

Thank you very much!

1. How do I solve a simple integral?

To solve a simple integral, you can use one of the basic integration rules such as the power rule or substitution. First, identify the variable and its power in the integrand. Then, apply the corresponding integration rule and solve for the constant of integration if necessary.

2. What is the purpose of a proof in integration?

The purpose of a proof in integration is to demonstrate the validity of a solution or to show the steps taken to arrive at a solution. A proof also helps to solidify understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques used in integration.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve an integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve an integral. Many calculators have built-in programs or functions for integration. However, it is important to understand the steps and techniques involved in integration, as calculators may not always provide the most accurate or efficient solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals include forgetting to include the constant of integration or not using the correct integration rule. It is also important to be careful with signs and to double-check your final answer by differentiating it to ensure it is equivalent to the original integrand.

5. How can I improve my integration skills?

To improve your integration skills, it is important to practice regularly and to familiarize yourself with the various integration rules and techniques. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources, and work through a variety of problems to gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques involved.