Effect of resistance on photoelectric current

In summary, the problem at hand is whether the photoelectric current, when a monochromatic light with a frequency greater than the threshold frequency is shone on a photocell connected to a circuit with a variable resistor and an ideal ammeter, would be affected by the resistor. The initial thought was that it would be independent from the resistor due to the number of photoelectrons being dependent on the number of photons, but then the possibility of an effect on the current by the resistor was considered. However, the mechanism of this effect is unclear and the idea of capacitance potentially playing a role was brought up.
ryanhowh

Homework Statement

Mmmm... Me and my classmate came across with this problem when studying photoelectric effect...

Given a photocell connected to a circuit with a variable resistor (with resistance R) and an ideal ammeter. When a monochromatic light with frequency (f) (f>f0) and intensity (I) was shone on the photocell, would the photoelectric current (i) be affected by R? If yes, how could I find the photoelectric current?

Homework Equations

er... i=ne/t; E=nhf; etc. etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first we thought that the photoelectric current would be independent from R because the photoelectric current is proportional to number of photoelectrons reaching the anode end of the photocell and that in turn is only dependent on the number of photons shone on the cathode end of the photocell. But then if this is true then the photocell would be something like a 'constant-current' power source... As power input is limited by incident light intensity, if we just keep increasing R, wouldn't we reach a point where power output (i2R) would be larger than the power input (IA)?

Then we considered the possibility of an effect on photoelectric current by R. But if yes, through what mechanism this is done? One attempt I made was that the increase in R would raise pd drop in the external circuit, which in turn would affect the number of photoelectrons reaching the anode end. But then this idea was a bit absurd in itself coz it involves a bit of a circular logic...

I read a few related problems about photoelectric cell in this forum and thought this problem would have something to do with capacitance, which we have little knowledge on (as it is not covered by our syllabus)... Can someone shed some light on use? Many thanks~~

Physics news on Phys.org
If electrons accumulate at the cathode, the current in the photocell may not be equal to that through the resistor.

1. How does resistance affect the photoelectric current?

Resistance has a direct effect on the photoelectric current. As resistance increases, the photoelectric current decreases. This is because resistance impedes the flow of electrons, making it more difficult for them to reach the collector plate and create a current.

2. What is the relationship between resistance and photoelectric current?

The relationship between resistance and photoelectric current is inverse. This means that as one increases, the other decreases. In the case of photoelectric current, as resistance increases, the current decreases.

3. Can resistance completely stop photoelectric current?

Yes, resistance can completely stop photoelectric current. When resistance reaches a certain threshold, the flow of electrons is completely impeded and no current can be produced. This is why it is important to keep resistance low in photoelectric experiments.

4. How does changing the intensity of light affect the effect of resistance on photoelectric current?

Changing the intensity of light does not affect the effect of resistance on photoelectric current. Resistance will still have an inverse relationship with the current, regardless of the intensity of light. However, changing the intensity of light can affect the overall amount of current produced.

5. What is the significance of understanding the effect of resistance on photoelectric current?

Understanding the effect of resistance on photoelectric current is important for accurately analyzing and interpreting data in photoelectric experiments. It also allows scientists to control and manipulate the current by adjusting resistance, making it a crucial factor in conducting experiments and developing new technologies that utilize the photoelectric effect.