Solving Arc Length Integral with Trigonometric Substitution

In summary, the integral of √(x^6/36 + x^2/6 + 1/(4x^2) + 1) from x = 1 to 4 is being used to find the arc length of the curve y = x^3/6 + 1/(2x) from x = 1 to 4.
everestwitman
∫sqrt(x^4/4 + 1/(x^4) + 1/2) dx from x = 1 to 4

Could someone help me solve this? I can't seem to find a substitution that works, or find the square root of (x^4/4 + 1/(x^4). Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
everestwitman said:
∫sqrt(x^4/4 + 1/(x^4) + 1/2) dx from x = 1 to 4

Could someone help me solve this? I can't seem to find a substitution that works, or find the square root of (x^4/4 + 1/(x^4). Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

What's inside the radical is almost a perfect square, so it's possible that you have made an error in the work leading up to the integral. Please show the function whose arc length you're trying to find, and what you did to get your integral.

Mark44 said:
What's inside the radical is almost a perfect square, so it's possible that you have made an error in the work leading up to the integral. Please show the function whose arc length you're trying to find, and what you did to get your integral.

Here is the work that i have done so far:

1) Find the length of the curve. y = x^3/6 + 1/(2x) from x = 1 to x = 4

L = ∫sqrt(1 + (d(x^3/6 + 1/(2x)/dx))^2) dx from x = 1 to 4
L = ∫sqrt(1 + (x^2/2-1/(2 x^2))^2) dx from x = 1 to 4
L = ∫sqrt(1 + x^4/4 + 1/(x^4) - 1/2) dx from x = 1 to 4
L = ∫sqrt(x^4/4 + 1/(x^4) + 1/2) dx from x = 1 to 4

everestwitman said:
Here is the work that i have done so far:

Your mistake is in the next line. Notice that you have a sign error and an error in the coefficient.
If y = (1/6)x3 + 1/(2x), y' = (1/2)x2 - 1/(2x2)
everestwitman said:
L = ∫sqrt(1 + (x^2/2-1/(2 x^2))^2) dx from x = 1 to 4
L = ∫sqrt(1 + x^4/4 + 1/(x^4) - 1/2) dx from x = 1 to 4
L = ∫sqrt(x^4/4 + 1/(x^4) + 1/2) dx from x = 1 to 4

Also, I hope this isn't how you're doing your work. Instead of starting each line with L = ... and dragging the integral along at each step, it's much easier, and easier to read, if you write down what you need for the step at hand. In other words, find the derivative, square it, add 1, and take the square root. That will be your integrand. Each step from then on until you evaluate the integral will show the integral symbol, but you don't need it in the steps leading up to getting the integrand.

I see that you didn't use the homework template, which has a section for the problem statement. Without knowing what the original problem was, I was not able to tell where you went wrong. This is one reason why we ask that you include this information. Please include the problem statement in any future posts.

Mark44 said:
Your mistake is in the next line. Notice that you have a sign error and an error in the coefficient.
If y = (1/6)x3 + 1/(2x), y' = (1/2)x2 - 1/(2x2)

Also, I hope this isn't how you're doing your work. Instead of starting each line with L = ... and dragging the integral along at each step, it's much easier, and easier to read, if you write down what you need for the step at hand. In other words, find the derivative, square it, add 1, and take the square root. That will be your integrand. Each step from then on until you evaluate the integral will show the integral symbol, but you don't need it in the steps leading up to getting the integrand.

I see that you didn't use the homework template, which has a section for the problem statement. Without knowing what the original problem was, I was not able to tell where you went wrong. This is one reason why we ask that you include this information. Please include the problem statement in any future posts.

Thanks a lot for your help, Mark44! I will be sure to in the future.

Now how would I go about factoring the expression that I get when I correct my mistakes? What I have now is

∫sqrt(x^6/36 + x^2/6 + 1/(4x^2) + 1) dx from x = 1 to 4

everestwitman said:
Now how would I go about factoring the expression that I get when I correct my mistakes? What I have now is

∫sqrt(x^6/36 + x^2/6 + 1/(4x^2) + 1) dx from x = 1 to 4

You still have mistakes. It's possible you're skipping steps.

Starting from y = x3/6 + 1/(2x), show me what you get for the following:
1. y'
2. (y')2
3. 1 + (y')2

If you do the three steps above correctly, what you get is actually fairly easy to factor inside the radical. Only then should you worry about the radical and the integral.

Here is the work that i have done so far, corrected for the mistake that you pointed out earlier.

(d(x^3/6 + 1/(2x)/dx) = (x^3/6 + 1/(2x)
((x^3/6 + 1/(2x))^2 = x^6/36 + x^2/6 + 1/(4x^2)

Putting it together,

∫sqrt(1 + (d(x^3/6 + 1/(2x)/dx))^2) dx from x = 1 to 4 = ∫sqrt(x^6/36 + x^2/6 + 1/(4x^2) + 1) dx from x = 1 to 4

everestwitman said:
Here is the work that i have done so far, corrected for the mistake that you pointed out earlier.1) Find the length of the curve. y = x^3/6 + 1/(2x) from x = 1 to x = 4

((x^3/6 + 1/(2x))^2 = x^6/36 + x^2/6 + 1/(4x^2)

Putting it together,

∫sqrt(1 + (d(x^3/6 + 1/(2x)/dx))^2) dx from x = 1 to 4 = ∫sqrt(x^6/36 + x^2/6 + 1/(4x^2) + 1) dx from x = 1 to 4

No.

Please do as I suggested in my previous post.
Mark44 said:
Starting from y = x3/6 + 1/(2x), show me what you get for the following:
1. y'
2. (y')2
3. 1 + (y')2

If you do the three steps above correctly, what you get is actually fairly easy to factor inside the radical. Only then should you worry about the radical and the integral.

Your first line should NOT start with "L = ∫<something>".

Last edited:
Your differentiation is incorrect here.
everestwitman said:

Also, it's probably easier to read if you write the left side like so:
(d/dx)(x3/6 + 1/(2x))

Hint: You can rewrite the stuff inside the square root as a three term polynomial over 4x^4.

How's this?

1. (d/dx)((x^3/6 + 1/(2x)) = x^2/2 - 1/(2x^2)
2. (dy/dx)^2 = (x^4 -1)^2/4x^4 = ((x - 1)^2 (x+1)^2 (x^2+1)^2) / 4x^2
3. (dy/dx)^2 + 1 = (x^4 + 1)^2 / (4x^4)
4. sqrt((dy/dx)^2 + 1) = (x^4+1) / 4x^2 = x^2 / 4 + 1 / (4x^2)
5.∫ x^2 / 4 + 1 / (4x^2) dx from x = 1 to 4 = x^3/12 - 1/ (4x) from x = 1 to 4 = (4^3/12 - 1/ (4(4))) - (1^3/12 - 1/ (4)) = 87 / 16

Thank you for being so patient with me. I'm 15 and have very little clue what I'm doing. I skipped Algebra II and Precalculus (testing out of them by the skin of my teeth.)

Last edited:
everestwitman said:
How's this?

1. (d/dx)((x^3/6 + 1/(2x)) = x^2/2 - 1/(2x^2) OK
It's helpful to simplify the above by factoring out 1/2. This gives you (1/2)(x2 - 1/x2), which will make the following step easier.
everestwitman said:
2. (dy/dx)^2 = (x^4 -1)^2/4x^4 = ((x - 1)^2 (x+1)^2 (x^2+1)^2) / 4x^2 Not OK
I can't tell what you did on the right side of the first =.
[(1/2)(x2 - 1/x2)]2 = (1/4)(x4 - 2 + 1/x4)
When you add 1 to the above (= 4/4), you get a perfect square trinomial, which is easy to factor.
everestwitman said:
3. (dy/dx)^2 + 1 = (x^4 + 1)^2 / (4x^4)
4. sqrt((dy/dx)^2 + 1) = (x^4+1) / 4x^2 = x^2 / 4 + 1 / (4x^2)
5.∫ x^2 / 4 + 1 / (4x^2) dx from x = 1 to 4 = x^3/12 - 1/ (4x) from x = 1 to 4 = (4^3/12 - 1/ (4(4))) - (1^3/12 - 1/ (4)) = 87 / 16

Thank you for being so patient with me. I'm 15 and have very little clue what I'm doing. I skipped Algebra II and Precalculus (testing out of them by the skin of my teeth.)

That was probably not a good idea. In any case, for the areas in which you're weak, it would be very helpful for you to review. You could pick up a precalculus textbook from Amazon or look at the algebra and precalc topic on khanacademy.org. Some time spent on a regular basis would be a very good investment.

1. What is an arc length integral?

An arc length integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the length of a curve, also known as an arc length. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and geometry.

2. How do you calculate an arc length integral?

To calculate an arc length integral, you first need to determine the function that represents the curve. You then use the formula ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx to set up the integral. You can then solve the integral using various techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the difference between arc length and arc length integral?

Arc length refers to the actual distance along a curve, while an arc length integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate that distance. In other words, arc length is a physical quantity, while an arc length integral is a mathematical concept used to represent it.

4. What are some real-life applications of arc length integrals?

Arc length integrals have various real-life applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a moving object, determining the length of a curved road or river, and finding the surface area of a curved object. They are also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics to solve complex problems involving curves.

5. Are there any special cases when dealing with arc length integrals?

Yes, there are a few special cases when dealing with arc length integrals. These include finding the arc length of a straight line (which simplifies the integral to a basic algebraic expression), dealing with parametric equations (which require a slightly different formula), and solving for the arc length of a polar curve (which involves using polar coordinates and a different formula).