I wouldn't say that 8-10% is that steep

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
In summary,The conversation discusses the steepness of hills in terms of percentage and degrees. The general consensus is that a 100% slope would be vertical and 0% would be horizontal, with 8-10% being relatively mild for a cyclist. However, it is noted that the difficulty of a slope also depends on its length and the physical fitness of the cyclist. It is also mentioned that using percentages can be misleading and that a 10-15% slope is still considered steep.
TSN79
My physics-teacher drew a parallel to cycling and said that hills that were round 8-10% steep were really tough to climb. What does this mean? Would 100% be vertical and 0% horizonatl? If so, I wouldn't say that 8-10% is that steep at all really...if it steepness was given in degrees I could see it better...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so sure that using a percent is standard in measuring steepness, but I would imagine that your teacher probably means what you think, with 0% being 0 degrees and 100% being 90 degrees. I agree that it doesn't seem particularly steep for a cyclist, but I suppose that depends on the physical fitness of your teacher :smile:

TSN79 said:
Would 100% be vertical and 0% horizonatl?

No.

You'll often see gradients (especially on roads) as being given in terms of a ratio, ie 1 in 5, where for every 5 metres you go along, you'll go up 1 metre. (Mathematically, the gradient would be 1/5).

When you see a gradient expressed as a percentage, it's merely a different way of expressing this ratio, or fraction.

In this case, a 45 degree slope would be 100%, and the 10% slope which your teacher speaks of is a 'One in Ten' incline.

As an aside, in real life, gradients often look a lot worse than they really are. The steepest roads in the UK aren't much more severe than 1 in 4, and a 1 in 10 slope is indeed a bit of a slog!

Wow, thanks. I just can't seem to think that a 1 in 10 incline could be considered that steep, but then again I'm not a cyclist...and I guess you would get tired after some time.

The difficulty also depends on the total length of the slope. Try tackling a 1 in 10 slope for an hour or so, and see how you go. I think you'll find it fairly tough.

I've climbed some 15% grades on a touring bike. Even without any baggage, I had to get in my lowest gear, stand up out of the saddle, and pull up on the handlebars in order to exert enough force on the pedals to keep moving.

jtbell said:
I've climbed some 15% grades on a touring bike. Even without any baggage, I had to get in my lowest gear, stand up out of the saddle, and pull up on the handlebars in order to exert enough force on the pedals to keep moving.

... having similar fond memories. Overall using %-grades gives really steep slopes a "low percentage", a 10-15% slope certainly isn't gentle or doesn't look like it when you're starting your climb, so the measure is usually a bit distracting.

What does "8-10% is that steep" mean?

"8-10% is that steep" is a statement that refers to a percentage range. It means that the percentage being discussed falls between 8% and 10%, and is considered to be steep or high compared to other percentages.

Why is 8-10% considered steep?

The reason why 8-10% is considered steep is because it is a relatively high percentage compared to other numbers. For example, if we were talking about a slope or incline, a 10% grade would be quite steep. In terms of percentages, 8-10% is also considered a significant increase or decrease from a baseline or previous percentage.

How is the percentage range of 8-10% determined?

The percentage range of 8-10% is typically determined by looking at a specific data set or situation and calculating the percentage within that range. For example, if we were talking about a sales increase, the percentage would be calculated by dividing the increase in sales by the previous sales amount and multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

What factors can influence whether 8-10% is considered steep?

There are several factors that can influence whether 8-10% is considered steep, such as the context in which the percentage is being discussed, the baseline or previous percentage, and the specific data being used to calculate the percentage. Additionally, personal opinions and perceptions can also play a role in determining whether a percentage is considered steep or not.

What are some examples of percentages that are considered steep?

Some examples of percentages that are considered steep may include interest rates above 8-10%, unemployment rates above 8-10%, or steep increases or decreases in stock prices. However, the definition of what is considered steep can vary depending on the context and individual perceptions.