Understanding the Phenomenon: Why Do Things Shrink When Seen from a Distance?

• Thread starter Lars Laborious
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how our perception of size can be affected by distance and angles. Objects appear smaller as they move further away because our line of sight covers a smaller angle. This can sometimes be fooled by our experiences and environmental cues. The eye also projects a smaller image on the retina for objects that are further away due to the smaller angle formed.
Lars Laborious
If someone paints a realsize picture of a person, then walks 100 yards to where you stand and hands you this painting, the painted person is of course still the same size as the real person. But if photons bring you a picture of the same person (i.e. seeing) still standing 100 yards away, the picture shrinks. What happens here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I don't understand your question, but are you asking why things appear smaller as they get further away? Because they subtend a smaller angle. Our brains are able to adjust for familiar objects of known size: We "know" that those people across the park aren't really 1 inch tall as they might appear.

But our perspective can be fooled, since our assumptions of relative size are based on our experience and environmental cues. How about this: http://psylux.psych.tu-dresden.de/i1/kaw/diverses Material/www.illusionworks.com/html/ames_room.html

Yes, you understood me right. But what exactly happens when you subtend a smaller angle? Does the photons gather data about the space between me and the person 100 yards away, so that visual system can shrink the image proparly?

No, it's just that your line of sight sweeps through a smaller angle to cover an object that has moved far away, and it is this angle (outside of any process borrowing from experience) which is our perception of "size".

Lars Laborious said:
Yes, you understood me right. But what exactly happens when you subtend a smaller angle? Does the photons gather data about the space between me and the person 100 yards away, so that visual system can shrink the image proparly?

Check out the attached image. It show how the eye images two objects of the same size at different distances. Note that the image projected on the retina for the furthest object is smaller that the for the closer object and that is because the angle is formed is smaller.

Attachments

• angle.gif
    angle.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 505
Janus said:
Check out the attached image. It show how the eye images two objects of the same size at different distances. Note that the image projected on the retina for the furthest object is smaller that the for the closer object and that is because the angle is formed is smaller.

Thanks! Just what I needed.

1. Why do objects appear smaller when seen from a distance?

Objects appear smaller when seen from a distance because of a phenomenon called size constancy. This is when our brain automatically adjusts the size of an object based on its distance from us. When an object is farther away, it takes up less space on our retina, making it appear smaller.

2. How does our brain perceive the size of an object?

Our brain perceives the size of an object by using depth cues, such as relative size, texture gradient, and linear perspective. These cues help us to understand the distance of an object and adjust its size accordingly.

3. Does the size of an object actually change when seen from a distance?

No, the size of an object does not physically change when seen from a distance. It only appears to change due to the way our brain interprets the visual information it receives.

4. Are there any exceptions to the phenomenon of objects shrinking when seen from a distance?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this phenomenon. For example, the moon appears to be the same size regardless of its distance from us due to the lack of depth cues in the night sky. Also, some optical illusions can make objects appear larger or smaller than they actually are.

5. Can we train our brain to see objects at a distance without shrinking?

While we cannot completely train our brain to see objects at a distance without shrinking, we can improve our depth perception and ability to judge distances through practice and visual exercises. However, our brain will still automatically adjust the size of an object based on its distance from us.