How can I make a DC-DC converter for my car to power a CD drive?

In summary, a user joined a forum asking for help in finding circuit diagrams and parts lists for creating a DC-DC converter to run a PC CD drive in their car. They mentioned that converters and inverters are expensive and not readily available in their country, so they want to make their own circuit. Another user suggested buying an adapter from a store, while another suggested using car 12V directly and a linear regulator to make the 5V instead of a DC-DC converter.
saad ahmed khan
hello every one
i just joined up
can anyone supply me with circuit diagrams and parts lists
i want to run a pc cddrive in my car
so i want to make a dc dc converter thaht takes 12V and gives out +12V +5V and two grounds like in a pc
there are converters and inverters available
but they are expensive not readily available in our country and i can't buy online
so iwant to make my own circuit

can anyone please help :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
hello all
i still couldnot get help
may be some one could send me circuit diagram for dc ac inverter 100w or more
and parts list
thanks any body

You probably didn't get help because it isn't clear what you are trying to do. For what purpose do you want a cd-rom drive? Is it connected to a computer? Anyway, my recommendation would be to buy an adapter from Radio Shack that puts out 5V, rather than try to make one yourself.

saad ahmed khan said:
hello all
i still couldnot get help
may be some one could send me circuit diagram for dc ac inverter 100w or more
and parts list
thanks any body
You don't need 100W for a CDROM drive -- probably more like a couple of watts. Just use the car 12V straight for the 12V (maybe filter it a little), and use a 7805-type linear regulator to make the 5V. Pretty straightforward, and a lot cleaner supplies compared to using a DC-DC converter.

What is a computer CD drive in a car?

A computer CD drive in a car is a device that allows you to play CDs on your car's audio system. It is typically located in the dashboard or center console and can read and play audio CDs as well as data CDs containing files such as MP3s or videos.

How does a computer CD drive in a car work?

A computer CD drive in a car works by using a laser to read the information stored on a CD. The laser reads the data from the CD and converts it into an audio signal that can be played through the car's speakers. It is powered by the car's battery and can be controlled through the car's audio system or a separate control panel.

Can I use a computer CD drive in a car to play music from my phone?

No, a computer CD drive in a car is designed to play CDs and cannot directly connect to a phone. However, there are adapters and transmitters available that can connect your phone to the CD drive's audio system, allowing you to play music from your phone through the car's speakers.

Do all cars come with a computer CD drive?

No, not all cars come with a computer CD drive. Some cars may have a built-in CD player, while others may only have a radio or may have a newer technology such as Bluetooth or USB ports for playing music. You can check your car's manual or consult with the manufacturer to see if your car has a CD drive.

Can I play DVDs on a computer CD drive in a car?

No, a computer CD drive in a car is not capable of playing DVDs. It is only designed to read and play CDs. If you want to play DVDs in your car, you will need to invest in a separate DVD player or consider upgrading to a car with a built-in DVD player.