Which is harder: classical or quantum physics?

• Thread starter Erdem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty level of different types of physics, including classical, quantum, and a hypothetical "quantassic" physics. It is mentioned that classical concepts may be easier to understand in some cases, but quantum is dominant at small size scales. The difficulty of the math involved is also brought up, with one person mentioning that quantum math was easier for them to grasp. It is also noted that the complexity of a subject is often determined by the community's ability to understand it. Overall, it is concluded that both classical and quantum physics can be equally challenging, and it ultimately depends on individual talents and preferences.
Erdem
which physics is easier?
which physics is dominant?
which physics is correct?

Classic or quantum

or even new one: quantassic physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
- I suppose classical concepts can be easier to deal with in some cases.

- Quantum is dominant at small size scales, classical at large ones. It depends on the situation and your assumptions.

- Both. Again, it depends what you're talking about. In many cases, classical physics gives a perfectly good picture of what's going on, although it may not take into account aspects that more advanced theories do.

And I have no idea what quantassic physics is.

One thing I remember about quantum, once I got over the conceptual hurdle, the math was much easier than the math for classical mechanics. I don't think that is an intrinsic property of the physics involved, but more a decision on the teaching community's part. You can make the coursework as hard as you want, but since students are going to have the conceptual difficulties with quantum, they ease off in the mathematical difficulties.

Njorl

Nearly all quantum mechanics is linear, while modern classical physics is into nonlinear stuff like chaos.

Since physics is like puzzles that the community makes up for itself, I think that any theoretical subject becomes as complex as the community can handle and then stops. Then you have to wait for someone like Witten who can handle harder puzzles to show the way forward, or you can "can" a lot of knowledge and go back to simpler reasoning at a higher level, like category theory.

Bottom line on this question, when you really get into them, classical and quantum physics are about equally hard. People's talents and tastes differ. Try to see which one you like to struggle with better, for struggle you will, and you might as well enjoy it.

What is the difference between classic and quantum science?

Classic science is based on Newtonian physics and the laws of classical mechanics, which describe the behavior of macroscopic objects. Quantum science, on the other hand, is based on quantum mechanics and describes the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

How do quantum computers work?

Quantum computers use quantum bits, or qubits, which can exist in multiple states at once. This allows them to perform calculations using quantum algorithms that are much more powerful than classical algorithms.

What are the potential applications of quantum technology?

Quantum technology has the potential to revolutionize fields such as cryptography, drug discovery, and material science. It could also lead to advancements in artificial intelligence, energy production, and communication systems.

Is quantum physics still a theoretical concept or has it been proven?

Quantum physics has been extensively tested and has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. However, there are still many unanswered questions and ongoing research in this field.

Can classical and quantum science coexist?

Yes, classical and quantum science can coexist and complement each other. Classical science is still applicable for macroscopic systems, while quantum science is necessary for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.