Show that 2^n=7*x^2+y^2 for some x,y odd.

• Thread starter rbetan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in number theory where the goal is to show that any power of two can be represented as 2^n=7*x^2+y^2 for some x,y odd. The conversation includes numerical examples and attempts at finding a proof, with the suggestion of using an induction proof. The final solution is to let the induction hypothesis be P(n)=there exist positive odd integers x,y such that 2^n=7x^2+y^2 and to show that the new x and y values also satisfy the equation.
rbetan

Homework Statement

Show that any power of two can be represented as 2^n=7*x^2+y^2 for some x,y odd.

This problem was given to us in preparation for the final for an undergraduate number theory class.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried numerical example to convince myself that it was true and to see if in the process i would get any ideas of how to approach this problem. But after many computations, i convince myself that it was true. but i could not come up with anything productive towards a proof.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you show us some of those numerical examples you used?

Here are some of the numerical examples... the higher the n the longer it took me to spot a solution.

Numerical Examples:

I could not get 2^1,2^2, but i did get the following

2^3=7(1)^2+(1)^2 so for n=3; one solution is x=1, y=1
2^4=7(1)^2+(3)^2 so for n=4; one solution is x=1, y=3
2^5=7(1)^2+(5)^2 so for n=5; one solution is x=1, y=5
2^6=7(3)^2+(1)^2 so for n=6; one solution is x=3, y=1
2^7=7(1)^2+(11)^2 so for n=7; one solution is x=1, y=11
2^8=7(5)^2+(9)^2 so for n=8; one solution is x=5, y=9
2^9=7(7)^2+(13)^2 so for n=9; one solution is x=7, y= 13
2^10=7(3)^2+(31)^2 so for n=10; one solution is x=3, y=31

I did not continue any further, since 2^10 is bigger than 1000 already. But i could not find any sol for n<3. so perhaps the instructor forgot to put the condition that n must be bigger than or equal to 3.

I wouldn't feel too bad if you didn't get this one. IIRC the problem was proposed by Euler. I think the solution is to uncover a rather ingenious pattern from the following small cases:

rbetan said:
2^3=7(1)^2+(1)^2 so for n=3; one solution is x=1, y=1
2^4=7(1)^2+(3)^2 so for n=4; one solution is x=1, y=3
2^5=7(1)^2+(5)^2 so for n=5; one solution is x=1, y=5
2^6=7(3)^2+(1)^2 so for n=6; one solution is x=3, y=1
2^7=7(1)^2+(11)^2 so for n=7; one solution is x=1, y=11
2^8=7(5)^2+(9)^2 so for n=8; one solution is x=5, y=9
2^9=7(7)^2+(13)^2 so for n=9; one solution is x=7, y= 13
2^10=7(3)^2+(31)^2 so for n=10; one solution is x=3, y=31

We first have to figure out how to get successive x values from previous (x,y) values. The first solution is (x,y) = (1,1). To get x = 1, the x value of the second solution, you can take the arithmetic mean of the values of the first solution. The second solution is (x,y) = (1,3), but to get x = 1, the x value of the third solution, you can't take the average of 1 and 3, but rather divide the absolute value of the difference by 2 to get |1-3| / 2 = 1. You can check for yourself that these two calculations generate successive x values from the previous x and y values (but the pattern does not always alternate between the two calculations).

Try to see if you can figure out the pattern for generating y values from previous (x,y) values on your own. Then try to correspond the resulting calculations so that you are able to transform a previous (x,y) pair to the next (x,y) pair. Once you can do this, it is clear what type of proof is needed to finish the problem.

i see how to get the next X from the previous (x,y) from your hint.

if (x+y)/2= odd# ; keep it as the next X value and solve for the corresponding Y.if (x+y)/2= even#; then do |x-y|/2=odd#; keep this odd# as the next X value, solve for the corresponding Y.

It is also clear from this process, that the appropriate proof should be an induction proof. But, how to even start this proof is a mystery to me. I don't even see what would be an appropriate induction hypothesis.

the value of n is what increases by 1. but i don't see how to relate x,y values with the corresponding n value.

Any help with these please!

How about simply letting the induction hypothesis being:
P(n)=there exist positive odd integers x,y such that [tex]2^n=7x^2+y^2[/tex]?
You have shown P(3) and you are pretty close to showing that P(n) implies P(n+1). If you have shown that exactly (x+y)/2 or |x-y|/2 is odd you can chose one of those to get your new x, and from that find a new y. You then only need to show that the new y is an odd integer and that the new pair actually satisfies the equation.

1. How do you prove that 2^n=7*x^2+y^2 for some x,y odd?

To prove this equation, you can use mathematical induction. First, show that the equation holds true for n=1. Then, assume it holds true for some integer k. Finally, use this assumption to prove that it also holds true for k+1. This will prove that the equation holds true for all positive integers.

2. What is the significance of x and y being odd in this equation?

The fact that x and y are both odd is important because it ensures that the right side of the equation will also be odd. This is necessary for the equation to hold true because 2^n is always even, and an even number cannot equal an odd number.

3. Can you provide an example of values for x and y that satisfy this equation?

Yes, an example would be x=3 and y=1. Plugging these values into the equation gives 2^n=7*3^2+1^2, which simplifies to 2^n=64. This is true for n=6, as 2^6=64.

4. Is there a specific method for finding values of x and y that satisfy this equation?

Yes, there is a specific method called the "method of infinite descent." This method involves using the fact that the right side of the equation is always odd and then using modular arithmetic to find a contradiction. This can lead to finding values for x and y that satisfy the equation.

5. Are there other equations similar to this one that follow a similar pattern?

Yes, there are many similar equations that follow a similar pattern of using powers of 2 and odd numbers. Some examples include 2^n=3*x^2+y^2 and 2^n=5*x^2+y^2. These equations also have solutions for x and y when n is a positive integer.