One-Dimensional Heat Equation Problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a non-homogeneous 1-D heat equation with the given boundary conditions. The method suggested is to use separation of variables by setting u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) and substituting it into the equation. The -2u term is later questioned, but the suggested method remains the same.
HansLee
Hi, I need help to solve this problem, about 1-D heat equation

[tex]\partial[/tex]u / [tex]\partial[/tex]t = k ([tex]\partial[/tex]2u / [tex]\partial[/tex]x2)-2u (0< x <1)

u(x,0)=e-x
u(0,t)=e-2t
u(1,t)=0

I need to solve it with separation variable

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok... what have you done so far? Do you know how to start a problem like this?

No, I have no idea how to start it, bcos it's non-homogeneous eq, can u help me?

I just realized that you don't actually have the heat equation in your first post. There should be no -2u term in the equation. Can you verify what you're supposed to be solving?

If you're actually trying to solve the heat equation, then start with u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) for some X and T functions and then try to separate the x's and the t's

Even with the "-2u" term, do exactly what Office Shredder says, just what you would normally do to "separate variables"- let u(x,t)= X(x)T(t) and put into the equation:

[tex]X\frac{du}{dt}= \kappa T\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}- 2XT[/tex]

divided through by XT and see what happens.

1. What is the "One-Dimensional Heat Equation Problem"?

The one-dimensional heat equation problem is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of heat in a one-dimensional space, such as a rod or wire. It is a partial differential equation that relates the rate of change of temperature with respect to time and distance.

2. What are the key factors in the one-dimensional heat equation problem?

The key factors in the one-dimensional heat equation problem are the initial temperature distribution, the boundary conditions, and the thermal diffusivity of the material being studied. These factors determine how heat will be transferred and distributed within the system.

3. How is the one-dimensional heat equation problem solved?

The one-dimensional heat equation problem can be solved using various numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, or spectral methods. These methods involve discretizing the equation and solving it iteratively to approximate the solution.

4. What are some real-world applications of the one-dimensional heat equation problem?

The one-dimensional heat equation problem has many applications in science and engineering, including heat transfer in materials, thermal conductivity of metals, and temperature distribution in electronic circuits. It is also used in weather forecasting and climate modeling to study the distribution of heat in the atmosphere.

5. What are the limitations of the one-dimensional heat equation problem?

The one-dimensional heat equation problem is a simplified model and may not accurately represent more complex real-world systems. It also assumes that the material being studied is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account external factors such as radiation or convection, which can also affect heat distribution.