Solving Integrals Involving Square Roots

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: So the integral becomes \int (r^2) dr/(sec u)^3 = x^2 \int cos^2 u * sec u du = x^2 \int (1 - sin^2 u) sec u du = x^2 \int (sec u + sec u * tan^2 u) du = x^2 * (ln (sec u + tan u) + tan u).In summary, the conversation discusses ways to solve the integral \int \frac{r^2dr}{\sqrt{r^2+x^2}}=\int{rdt}, with a suggestion to use the substitution r=x \sinh u. However, there is a sign ambiguity in this substitution and it is
transgalactic
[tex]
\int \frac{r^2dr}{\sqrt{r^2+x^2}}=\int{rdt}\\
[/tex]
[tex]
t=\sqrt{r^2+x^2}\\
[/tex]
[tex]
dt=\frac{2rdr}{2\sqrt{r^2+x^2}}
[/tex]

i tried to solve it like that

Physics news on Phys.org
If you do it like that the r^2 in the numerator will pose a problem. Try the substitution [itex]r=x \sinh u[/itex].

Last edited:
transgalactic said:
[tex]
\int \frac{r^2dr}{\sqrt{r^2+x^2}}=\int{rdt}\\
[/tex]
[tex]
t=\sqrt{r^2+x^2}\\
[/tex]
[tex]
dt=\frac{2rdr}{2\sqrt{r^2+x^2}}
[/tex]

i tried to solve it like that

No, it would be [tex]
\int \frac{r^2dr}{\sqrt{r^2+x^2}}=\int{\sqrt{t^2 - x^2}dt}\\
[/tex]
Cyosis said:
If you do it like that the r^2 in the numerator will pose a problem. Try the substitution [itex]r=x \sinh x[/itex].

erm :redface: … xsinhu :wink:

Whoops, will fix it.

what do i do after
[tex]
\int \frac{r^2dr}{\sqrt{r^2+x^2}}=\int{\sqrt{t^2 - x^2}dt}\\
[/tex]
whats the substitution
??

and i don't know hyperbolic stuff
its not on the course

That integral has a sign ambiguity, because if [itex]t=\sqrt{r^2+x^2}[/itex] then [itex]r=\pm \sqrt{t^2-x^2}[/itex]. Which one do you take?

Do you know of a good substitution if the integrand had been [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]? Try to find a trigonometric substitution for which 1-(...)^2=(...)^2.

there is no trigonometric substitution for it

There is and it is the most famous trig identity at that. Any ideas?

tangence goes when there is no square root on the denominator
1/(x^2+1) type

so i don't have any clue

Tangent works fine for the square root case as well. But you're jumping in between integrals again. It will be helpful if you stick to one integral.

transgalactic said:
there is no trigonometric substitution for it
You speak with considerable authority here, but it is unwarranted. Draw a right triangle with the horizontal leg labelled x and the vertical leg labelled r and the hypotenuse labelled sqrt(r^2 + x^2). If the acute angle is labelled u, then sec u = sqrt(r^2 + x^2)/x and tan u = r/x, and sec u * du = dr/x.

What is an integral question?

An integral question is a type of question that requires the use of calculus and integration to solve. This means that the question involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulated value of a changing quantity.

Why are integral questions important?

Integral questions are important because they allow us to solve real-world problems involving rates of change, such as finding the total distance traveled by a moving object or the total amount of a substance produced over time.

How do you solve an integral question?

To solve an integral question, you must first identify the function that represents the changing quantity and set up the integral using that function. Then, you can use integration techniques to find the antiderivative of the function and evaluate the integral to find the solution to the question.

What are some common techniques for solving integral questions?

Some common techniques for solving integral questions include u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to be familiar with these techniques and know when to apply them in order to solve different types of integral questions.

How can I improve my skills in solving integral questions?

The best way to improve your skills in solving integral questions is through practice. Work through a variety of different integral questions and try to identify which techniques are most applicable to each one. It can also be helpful to seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor to guide you through the process of solving integral questions.