Understanding Approximation Methods for Equal Radii (with Visual Explanation)

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary, the "a" disappears because an approximation is being made. If r is way bigger than a then r2 is almost equal to r1, because r2-r1 is a very small part of r2. Therefore you can approximate r1r2 as r^2. But why "a" disappears is still a mystery.
transgalactic
why the "a" disappears
i can't understand the process of the approximation .

if r1 goes to be equal r2 =r1=r
that "a " should be 0 .

http://i42.tinypic.com/119ndqt.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes if r2=r1 then a=0, exactly. But we're making an approximation. If r is way bigger than a then r2 is almost equal to r1, because r2-r1 is a very small part of r2. Therefore you can approximate r1r2 as r^2.

but why "a" disappears
?

i agree that if r>>a that r1r2=r^2
because the are close to each other
but there a multiplication by 'a'
i can't understand mathematically
why "a" disappears
?

What is the definition of a dipole moment?

electric dipole moment is p=qd

where p is the moment created by the charges separated by a distance d. (on each end of the first body). It's an induced dipole moment.

Yes and what is the electrical dipole moment of this particular configuration?

"electric field created by two point charges +q and and -q, separated by a (small) distance d.

If you reduce the distance and increase the charge so that qd remains constant, the field stays approximately the same, except for the region close to the charges.

A dipole is the limiting case of this, as d goes to zero and q goes to infinity but qd remains finite."

in my case how qd is a charge of one ball q
d is 'a'
and if there multiplication stays the same
then the field has the value
still it doesn't explain how 'a' dissapears

You didn't answer my question, you just cited a book. I want you to calculate the electrical dipole moment for the configuration in your problem. Can you do that?

p=aq

Almost, but not quite. Can you describe the configuration quantitatively to me using terms such as positive charge = ? ,negative charge =? separation distance =?

positive charge = +q
negative charge =-q
separation distance =a

Nope the separation distance is not a, I suggest you take a good look at the picture. After that calculate the correct electrical dipole moment.

separation distance =2a

I would appreciate if you would reply to my entire post. Calculate the correct electrical dipole moment now that you have found the correct separation distance.

p=q2a

Yes can you see now why the a "disappears"?

lol its being substituted by dipole moment sign
thanks

Indeed, I am glad you finally see it!

i can't understand why they change the drawing in that way.
i know that if we go far far away than our dipole will look like a single charge.
and there will not be any r1 and r2 only r.
so i can't see why they change the drawing in such way
?

Because the drawing represents a real physical dipole. They then show you how to calculate it when r>>a by using an approximation. Their intend most likely is that you realize the dipole potential is an approximation for a physical dipole. The dipole you're talking about is a mathematical dipole in the limit a->0, they don't exist in reality.

the distance between r2 an r1 lines
is not what they are calculating it the other side of the triangle (the blue line)
why they take the cosine

http://i39.tinypic.com/90vvc9.jpg

why they take this side
and not the other
??

transgalactic said:
why they take this side
and not the other
??

I'm not sure what your question is. The page you scanned shows that
[tex]V \approx \frac{k_e q}{r_1 r_2}2a cos \theta \approx \frac{k_e p cos \theta}{r^2}[/tex]

All they have done is replace q*2a with p, and [itex]r_1 r_2[/itex] with [itex]r^2[/itex].

Last edited:
but they say that [tex]cos \theta =r_2 - r_1[/tex]

i think that the difference from the lines should be sine of this angle
the shortest way between two lines in the perpendicular lines between them
??

You should really review your trigonometry. r2-r1 is the adjacent side of the angle theta and 2a is the hypotenuse.

[tex]
\cos \theta=\frac{adjacent side}{hypotenuse}=\frac{r_2-r_1}{2a}
[/tex]

i know that.
why they say that r_2 -r_1 has to be this side of the triangle

i thinks its the other side because
the shortest way between two lines in the perpendicular lines between them.

So you're saying that if you have two parallel lines, you find the perpendicular distance between them by subtracting the length of the lines (parallel) from each other?

ahhh thanks

1. What are approximation methods for equal radii?

Approximation methods for equal radii are techniques used to estimate the radius of a circle or sphere that is approximately equal to another circle or sphere. These methods involve mathematical calculations and can be used when the exact radius is not known or is difficult to determine.

2. Why is it important to understand approximation methods for equal radii?

Understanding approximation methods for equal radii is important because it allows us to estimate the size of circles or spheres without needing to know the exact measurements. This can be useful in various applications, such as engineering, architecture, and physics, where precise measurements are not always available.

3. What are some common approximation methods for equal radii?

Some common approximation methods for equal radii include using geometric constructions, such as inscribed and circumscribed polygons, and using formulas like the chord length and tangent methods. Other methods include using calculus, such as the method of successive bisection, and using computer algorithms, such as the Newton-Raphson method.

4. How do visualization techniques aid in understanding approximation methods for equal radii?

Visualization techniques, such as diagrams and animations, can help in understanding approximation methods for equal radii by providing a visual representation of the concepts and calculations involved. This can make it easier to grasp the underlying principles and see how the methods work in practice.

5. Are there limitations to using approximation methods for equal radii?

Yes, there are limitations to using approximation methods for equal radii. These methods are only estimates and may not always provide an exact solution. The accuracy of the results also depends on the chosen method and the level of precision used in the calculations. Additionally, these methods may not work for all types of circles or spheres, such as those with irregular shapes or varying radii.