Setting up a work problem. pumping gasoline

In summary, the problem involves finding the work required to pump gasoline from a buried conical tank that is 5 feet below ground. The cone has a height of 10 feet and the student is struggling to find the radius of the cone. They have attempted to use similar triangles but are unsure if their answer is correct. They also mention that they have successfully solved a similar problem with the radius of the top of the tank given.
bakin
I just have a quick question. I'm supposed to find the work required to pump gas out of a cone, but am having trouble finding the radius of the cone.

The cone measures 10 feet in height. I broke it up and set it up using similar triangles, and this is what I got:
4l5h449.jpg

It doesn't seem right though. And, if it is right, where do I go from there? Any help is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
if the height is 10, then y must be the difference from 10, or is that straight from the book?

Ok here is the full problem.

Gasoline weighing 42lb/ft(cubed) is contained in a buried conical tank shown below. (above). Set up an appropriate integral, and find the work required to pump all the gas to ground level.

The tank is 5 feet below ground, i just didn't draw it on the diagram.

edit: so do you think it's 10-y ?

Because 10 is the height of the cone. I'm trying to find the radius of the cone. I know how to do the pumping problems, but I'm just stuck on how to find the radius that you'll end up plugging into the integral.

I don't think I have all the information for the problem. I did a similar problem that gave me the radius of the top of the tank and I was able to do it. I'll check tonight to see if I'm missing something.

1. How do I determine the rate of pumping gasoline?

The rate of pumping gasoline can be determined by dividing the amount of gasoline pumped by the time it took to pump that amount. For example, if 10 gallons of gasoline were pumped in 5 minutes, the pumping rate would be 2 gallons per minute.

2. What factors affect the pumping rate of gasoline?

The pumping rate of gasoline can be affected by various factors such as the size of the fuel tank, the capacity of the pump, the viscosity of the gasoline, and the pressure at which the gasoline is being pumped. Other factors such as the temperature and humidity can also have an impact.

3. How does the pump's nozzle size affect the pumping rate?

The nozzle size of the pump can affect the pumping rate by controlling the flow rate of the gasoline. A larger nozzle size allows for a higher flow rate and thus a higher pumping rate. However, a smaller nozzle size may result in a slower pumping rate.

4. Can the pumping rate of gasoline be increased?

Yes, the pumping rate of gasoline can be increased by using a pump with a larger capacity, ensuring the fuel tank is not too full, and by using a pump with a larger nozzle size. Additionally, regularly maintaining and cleaning the pump can also help maintain a higher pumping rate.

5. How can I calculate the time it will take to pump a certain amount of gasoline?

To calculate the time it will take to pump a certain amount of gasoline, divide the amount of gasoline by the pumping rate. For example, if 20 gallons of gasoline need to be pumped and the pumping rate is 4 gallons per minute, it will take approximately 5 minutes to pump the gasoline.