Man puts rattle snake in mouth, gets bitten

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, a man was bitten by his pet rattle snake and had his airway blocked by his swollen tongue. Despite this, he still deserves to win the Darwin Award for his stupidity. Some people joked about the situation, but others questioned the legality of owning venomous animals. This incident served as a lesson in proximate vs ultimate causation and confounding in experimental results.
Physics news on Phys.org
What an idiot.

He's lucky that he ended up at OHSU. Had it been another hospital the results might not have been so good.

Wow. It must have been weird having his airway blocked by his own toungue

that seems like a reasonable cause and effect relationship

ZapperZ said:
I don't care if it is his pet rattle snake. He still deserves to win the Darwin Award.
Too bad he only qualifies for an honorable mention!

What did he think would happen?

morphism said:
Too bad he only qualifies for an honorable mention!

What did he think would happen?

Maybe he was hoping the snake would french kiss him?

<eeeeww! I just grossed myself out!>

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Maybe he was hoping the snake would french kiss him?

<eeeeww! I just grossed myself out!>

Zz.

When I saw this post, for a second I considered searching a "kissing a snake" picture and posting it. Unless that would be a welcomed action :D

ekrim said:
that seems like a reasonable cause and effect relationship

Nope not really. You see, while most people wouldn't think twice and assume that the swollen tongue was caused by the snake, it was actually caused by the guy's own stupidity...

This is a classic textbook example of confounding in experimental results.....:rofl::biggrin:

I just love when pet snakes remind their owners, that they are indeed SNAKES.

Doesn't a person need a special license to own venomous animals?

Last edited:
:rofl: my god. classic. I think the bigger question is what would drive you to then want to appear on CNN and broadcast your idiocy on a national level!

G01 said:
Nope not really. You see, while most people wouldn't think twice and assume that the swollen tongue was caused by the snake, it was actually caused by the guy's own stupidity...

This is a classic textbook example of confounding in experimental results.....:rofl::biggrin:

Actually, it's a pretty classic example of proximate vs ultimate causation. :biggrin: The proximate cause of the swollen tongue is the snake bite, but the ultimate cause is the guy's stupidity.

If he had managed to kill himself, would it have been ruled a suicide?

Moonbear said:
Actually, it's a pretty classic example of proximate vs ultimate causation. :biggrin: The proximate cause of the swollen tongue is the snake bite, but the ultimate cause is the guy's stupidity.

Wow, who would have thought this guy could teach us so much about science!:rofl:
Moonbear said:
If he had managed to kill himself, would it have been ruled a suicide?

I'm sure there's a lawyer good enough to get the snake locked up for murder...:rolleyes:

1. What happened to the man who put a rattle snake in his mouth?

The man was bitten by the snake and suffered from serious injuries.

2. Why did the man put a rattle snake in his mouth?

It is believed that the man was attempting to impress others or show off his bravery.

3. Can a person survive a rattlesnake bite to the mouth?

It is possible for a person to survive a rattlesnake bite to the mouth, but it depends on the severity of the bite and how quickly they receive medical treatment.

4. Is it dangerous to handle a rattlesnake?

Yes, it is extremely dangerous to handle a rattlesnake. Rattlesnakes are venomous and their bites can be fatal if not treated immediately.

5. How can someone safely interact with a rattlesnake?

The safest way to interact with a rattlesnake is from a distance. It is important to never try to handle or provoke a snake, and to always seek the help of a professional if you encounter one.