Getting a PhD while working? Is it doable?

• Thread starter windsupernova
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, getting a PhD is a full-time commitment and it is possible to work while pursuing it, but it may delay completion. In the UK, PhDs generally take 3-4 years and are often funded, but part-time options are available which may take 6+ years and require self-funding. It is also possible to have a job that reimburses tuition and fees. It is recommended to start pursuing a PhD soon after finishing undergrad, and scholarships are available to help with funding.
windsupernova
Hi I want to get a PhD eventually. My plan is to finish my undergrad and then start working to gather money and then get a Phd. Is getting a PhD a full time thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you doing a science PhD because for science PhD you will usually get a stipend to live on.

windsupernova said:
Hi I want to get a PhD eventually. My plan is to finish my undergrad and then start working to gather money and then get a Phd. Is getting a PhD a full time thing?

Basically - yes. It's a full time job. I worked part-time while doing my Ph.D. (on top of TA assignments) and while that was possible, it set me back. I graduated well after others who started at the same time as I did and who did not have part-time jobs.

Working full time is possible, but it will take even longer for you to finish.

Which country are you from?

In the UK a full-time PhD takes around 3-4 years, and in science are generally funded for around £13k though if students in other circumstances or e.g. with exceptional grades can apply for extra funding in the form of scholarships from other sources. On top of this, you get a small amount of money for tutoring and attending lab sessions etc.

It's also possible to do a part-time PhD where one may have a 'job' for 3 days a week and PhD for the other 2 (then weekend for 2!) however this will mean completion can take up to 6+ years and it should also be noted that part-time PhD's generally require self-funding so you'd have to pay fees from the money you earn with your day job.

Or if you work for a company that reimburses tuition + course fees, you'll essentially be attending for free. It will just be a major time investment.

I have two data points.

Way back when I was a CS grad student, one of the other students worked for a company that was paying his way through the Ph.D. program. However, he was a full-time student, and I think he only worked for them during the summers. He also pretty much set the land speed record for graduating.

Secondly, my brother-in-law is currently getting an engineering Ph.D. while working for the government. He is still expected to work about half-time while he completes his studies. Time for qualifiers and the like come from his PTO.

So, it's possible, but it seems to me that the pressures are considerably greater and you have much less personal time than you would otherwise.

So basically If I want to get a PhD, I may as well start ASAP after I finish undergrad right?

Mmm, don´t know if I will be able to afford it anyways. Time to do some more scolarship hunting

That's the usual path. Others are possible, but I think it's easiest if you just follow the crowd.

As for affording it... as j93 mentioned, most Ph.D. programs in the sciences provide a stipend in exchange for some research or teaching duties... money shouldn't really be an issue other than it is typically a *small* stipend...

1. Can I get a PhD while working full-time?

Yes, it is possible to earn a PhD while working a full-time job. Many universities offer part-time or flexible PhD programs specifically designed for working professionals.

2. How long does it take to complete a PhD while working?

The length of time it takes to complete a PhD while working can vary greatly depending on the specific program and individual circumstances. On average, it can take anywhere from 4 to 7 years to earn a PhD while working full-time.

3. Will my job interfere with my PhD studies?

It is possible that your job may interfere with your PhD studies, but with careful time management and communication with your employer, it is possible to balance both commitments. It may also be helpful to discuss a flexible work schedule or reduced hours with your employer.

4. Is it difficult to juggle a job and PhD studies?

Juggling a job and PhD studies can be challenging, but it is not impossible. It will require strong time management skills, dedication, and support from friends, family, and colleagues. It may also be helpful to seek advice and support from other individuals who have completed a PhD while working.

5. What are the benefits of getting a PhD while working?

Earning a PhD while working can have many benefits, such as gaining practical experience in your field, maintaining a steady income, and building a professional network. It also shows dedication and determination, which can be valuable qualities in both academic and professional settings.