Euclid's Proof: Infinity of Primes

In summary, Euclid's proof shows that assuming there is a finite number of primes, the product of all those primes plus one (represented by X) cannot be divided by any of those primes without leaving a remainder of 1. This is because when divided, the first term is an integer, but the second term (1/Pi) is not. This is how we can know that there is an infinite set of primes.
kenewbie
Euclid's proof:

1) Assume there is a finite number of primes.
2) Let Pn be the largest prime.
3) Let X be the P1 * P2 ... * Pn + 1

At this point the statement is that "X cannot be divided by P1 through Pn", but why is that? This is not self-obvious to me. How can I know this?

k

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Because dividing by any of those primes gives a remainder of 1, not 0:

[tex]\frac{P_1P_2...P_{i-1}P_iP_{i+1}...Pn+ 1}{Pi}= P_1P_2...P_{i-1}P_{i+1}...Pn+ \frac{1}{P_i}[/tex]
The first term is an integer but the second is not.

Minor aside: "the infinity of primes" is bad grammar. The noun form is wrong here -- you want the adjective "infinite", such as in "the infinite set of primes".

kenewbie said:
How can I know this?
Try dividing.

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]\frac{P_1P_2...P_{i-1}P_iP_{i+1}...Pn+ 1}{Pi}= P_1P_2...P_{i-1}P_{i+1}...Pn+ \frac{1}{P_i}[/tex]
The first term is an integer but the second is not.

That made perfect sense, thank you!

k

1. What is Euclid's Proof of the Infinity of Primes?

Euclid's Proof of the Infinity of Primes is a mathematical proof, presented by the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid, that demonstrates that there are infinitely many prime numbers.

2. How does Euclid's Proof work?

Euclid's Proof works by assuming that there is a finite number of prime numbers and then using logical deduction to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. This contradiction then proves that there must be infinitely many prime numbers.

3. What is the significance of Euclid's Proof?

Euclid's Proof is significant because it was one of the earliest and most well-known mathematical proofs of the infinity of primes. It also laid the foundation for further exploration and understanding of prime numbers and their properties.

4. Can Euclid's Proof be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, the logical deduction used in Euclid's Proof can be applied to other mathematical concepts to demonstrate their infinite nature. For example, it can be used to prove the infinity of the set of natural numbers.

5. Are there any flaws in Euclid's Proof?

While Euclid's Proof is considered to be a valid and sound proof, there have been some criticisms and alternative interpretations of the proof. However, it is still widely accepted and used in mathematics today.