Sum or upped bound of geometrico-harmonic series

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the upper bound of an infinite series with the given conditions. The paper being referenced reports the upper bound to be a fraction involving the sum of the series. The questioner is confused about how the author factored out the 1/k coefficient and replaced it with 1/(p+1).
aamir.ahmed
Hi,
I need help to determine the upper bound of this infinite series.
[tex]\sum_{k=p+1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k} a^k \ \ \ \ ; a \leq 1[/tex]

The paper I am reading reports the upper bound to be,
[tex]\sum_{k=p+1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k} a^k \leq \frac{1}{p+1}\sum_{k=p+1}^{\infty} a^k = \frac{1}{p+1} \cdot \frac{a^{p+1}}{1-a}[/tex]

I totally cannot understand how could he factor 1/k coefficient out of the summation and replace it with 1/(p+1). Please point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aamir.ahmed said:
I totally cannot understand how could he factor 1/k coefficient out of the summation and replace it with 1/(p+1). Please point me in the right direction.

k is at least p+1, so 1/k is at most 1/(p+1).

1. What is the formula for calculating the sum or upper bound of a geometrico-harmonic series?

The formula for calculating the sum or upper bound of a geometrico-harmonic series is Sn = (Hn * Gn) + 1, where Sn is the sum or upper bound, Hn is the nth harmonic number, and Gn is the nth geometric number.

2. How do you determine if a geometrico-harmonic series converges or diverges?

A geometrico-harmonic series will converge if the ratio of the geometric numbers (Gn) is less than 1. It will diverge if the ratio is greater than or equal to 1.

3. Can the sum or upper bound of a geometrico-harmonic series be negative?

No, the sum or upper bound of a geometrico-harmonic series cannot be negative since both the harmonic numbers and geometric numbers are always positive.

4. How is a geometrico-harmonic series used in real-world applications?

Geometrico-harmonic series can be used to model growth and decay in various scenarios, such as compound interest or population growth. They are also used in engineering, physics, and other fields to solve problems involving series and sequences.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when calculating the sum or upper bound of a geometrico-harmonic series?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider. If the ratio of the geometric numbers (Gn) is equal to 1, the series is considered to be a harmonic series and will diverge. If the first term (a1) of the geometric series is 1, the sum or upper bound formula simplifies to Sn = Hn + 1. Additionally, if a1 is not equal to 1, the formula can be rewritten as Sn = (a1 * Hn * Gn) + a1 to avoid any division by 0 errors.