Wave propagation, resonance and collapse

In summary: There are other factors at play and the wavefunction will be different at each point in space and time.
yeshi
Hello,

there is a subject of wave propagation and collapse that has plagued me for some time, and although i must have heard about it, my memories are probably skewed ( i studied EE and had high frequency, physics of materials and nuclear/quantum physics sometime in 1970s :) as subjects). In the online textbooks i was unable to find an answer. My views are somewhat of an EE, that holds fast to antenna and fields, etc. :tongue:

Question:
When the wave propagates - let's say a single photon - it is my understanding that it will discharge when a resonant candidate (absorber) is reached in space(time) and will ionise an atom by changing an electron in some of its orbitals.

If we look at a wave as a propagating phenomenon traveling from the emitter at speed c (media dependant) then it has a wavefront, maybe an expanding sphere in vacuum or some other form.

Does it mean that the wave can collapse only if the wavefront meets a potential recipient (atom) on its expansion, or can the discharge happen WITHIN the already transversed volume of the field? In other words, is the wave collapse always happening when the absorber is reached along the wavefront expansion?

thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
yeshi, The wavefunction that we talk about, ψ(x, t), is the probability amplitude for finding the particle at point x at time t. An interaction may take place anywhere that ψ(x, t) is nonzero. The other terms you use, discharge and resonant absorber, make the process sound way too continuous and way too classical. It is not like a wave gradually transferring energy to a receiving antenna. The interaction, if it occurs, occurs at a single point at a single instant.

Bill_K said:
yeshi, The wavefunction that we talk about, ψ(x, t), is the probability amplitude for finding the particle at point x at time t. An interaction may take place anywhere that ψ(x, t) is nonzero. The other terms you use, discharge and resonant absorber, make the process sound way too continuous and way too classical. It is not like a wave gradually transferring energy to a receiving antenna. The interaction, if it occurs, occurs at a single point at a single instant.

excellent,

so the interaction can occur at a point within the volume already traversed (as the wavefuncion is nonzero within all of the field (aka volume)). Thank you :)

OTOH, there is an emitter and absorber atom for each photon out there, and it does propagate in real time...

1. What is wave propagation?

Wave propagation is the movement of energy through a medium, such as air or water. This energy can take the form of sound, light, or other types of waves. The behavior of wave propagation is governed by fundamental physical principles, including the laws of thermodynamics and electromagnetism.

2. How does resonance occur?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an oscillating force is applied to a system at its natural frequency. This causes the system to vibrate with a larger amplitude, resulting in increased energy transfer. Resonance can occur in a variety of systems, including musical instruments, buildings, and bridges.

3. What factors contribute to wave collapse?

Wave collapse occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or boundary that is too large or too dense for the wave to pass through. Factors that can contribute to wave collapse include the shape and size of the obstacle, the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through, and the frequency and amplitude of the wave itself.

4. How does wave interference affect resonance?

Wave interference occurs when two or more waves interact with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference. In the case of resonance, wave interference can amplify the amplitude and energy of the resonant system, leading to a more pronounced resonance effect.

5. What are some real-world applications of wave propagation, resonance, and collapse?

Wave propagation, resonance, and collapse have a wide range of applications in various fields, including acoustics, seismology, and engineering. Some examples of real-world applications include earthquake detection and prediction, acoustic imaging in medical and industrial settings, and the design of earthquake-resistant buildings and bridges.