Why does all the excess BE go to the radiated particle?

• Thread starter kenshi64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation is about the distribution of energy in nuclear reactions. The participants discuss the concept of conservation of momentum and energy, as well as the role of mathematics in understanding physics. Ultimately, it is concluded that the energy lost in a nuclear reaction is mostly given to the alpha particle, with some consideration for the recoil of the daughter nucleus.
kenshi64
Well all textbooks probably state something like this 'A Nucleus loses energy by radiation'

I'm cool with that statement except the fact that all the excess BE or energy is lost only to the eg.alpha particle! and no mention of some being given to the new nucleus!

Look at this for example:
Mass Radium=226.0254u
Mass Radon=222.0176u
Mass Helium(Alpha)=4.002602u
Change in mass=0.005198u
Energy equivalent=4.84MeV

Note: Energy of alpha=5MeV
Resemblance of 4.84MeV to 5MeV-Uncanny
So this is going to say that the lost BE is all given to the alpha, WHY?
(or am I supposed to consider 5-4.84 for the energy given to the new nucleus)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solving the conservation of momentum and energy in this case tells you that the kinetic energy of the alpha particle will be approx 55.5 times more than that of the radon nucleus.

So I guess that to a good approximation, you can ignore the recoil of the daughter nucleus.

Agreed Simon_Tyler, Kenshi64 the daughter nucleus MUST recoil in the opposite direction to the alpha to conserve momentum. It's not just energy which must be conserved.

PS Even if the radiation is a gamma (so no rest mass) it still has momentum given by E/c
where E is its energy and c as usual is the speed of light

Kenshi64 see attached for all the details

Attachments

• nuclear decay.doc
    17.5 KB · Views: 202
sambristol said:
Kenshi64 see attached for all the details

Did you type that out yourself? Cool, Thanks! I got most of it but the end was above me, and anyway its sufficient if you answer the doubt in words, since I'm not doing Physics in much detail.

I appreciate both the reply, but sadly I don't understand either, could you address the question directly without jumping into other complicated things! Thanks, I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience. :)

Tell me exactly what you don't understand and I will try my best to bridge the gap.

That is ask me specific questions

Physics is written in the language of maths. Separate the maths from the physics and much more importantly do not be afraid of either, the fear of the maths has hampered many a young physicist – not helped by professors who 'drop in' the maths so students don't know what is physics and what is maths

Regards

Sam

Question 1: Why does all the excess BE go to the radiated particle?

The excess binding energy (BE) is the amount of energy released when nucleons combine to form a nucleus. This excess energy is distributed among the particles within the nucleus, and the radiated particle receives the most because it is the lightest and most easily accelerated. This is due to the conservation of energy and momentum.

Question 2: What determines the amount of excess BE that goes to the radiated particle?

The amount of excess BE that goes to the radiated particle depends on the mass of the particles involved in the nuclear reaction. The lighter the particle, the more excess energy it will receive. Additionally, the properties of the nuclear forces also play a role in determining the distribution of excess BE among the particles.

Question 3: Is there any way to control the distribution of excess BE among the particles?

Currently, there is no way to control the distribution of excess BE among particles in a nuclear reaction. However, scientists are continuously researching and developing methods to manipulate and control nuclear reactions for various applications, such as nuclear energy and medicine.

Question 4: Can excess BE be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, excess BE can be converted into other forms of energy such as heat, light, and kinetic energy. This is the basis of nuclear reactions and the production of energy in nuclear power plants.

Question 5: What happens to the remaining excess BE that is not given to the radiated particle?

The remaining excess BE is distributed among the other particles in the nucleus. This can result in changes to the structure and stability of the nucleus, potentially leading to radioactive decay or other nuclear reactions.