Spring Semester Sophomore looking for guidance.

In summary: I honestly don't know exactly what it is.. But during tests my mind blanks and it's a struggle to recollect all the formulas and stuff, it's something I feel that I can't help.
JJRKnights
I'm in my spring semester of my sophomore year at college. I was inspired by a speaker who came to my intro to engineering course to try for an internship for an engineering job. He said at the beginning of his sophomore year he did it and it left a great impression on the company that he was a hard worker and dedicated to his job.

Well my main problem is that I have a pretty low GPA from personal issues that I went through my freshman year of college, I think it's a 2.1. But since the beginning of this year I've been more dedicated to my work and am actually more focused on my work than ever. I don't think my GPA will get higher than a 3.3 by the time I graduate. But the speaker said that to get a job in engineering they look for people with a 3.0 higher, but focus on the high end more, but also look for experience. And when the speaker said he did the internship he said to also have about a 3.65, while the company was looking for somebody with high grades and a good past in high school. In High School I graduated with nearly a 4.0, had a much better track had community service and all, and currently while in college have not done a single hour.

I'm wondering if I'm just driving myself into a ditch trying to get a job in engineering as of now. I feel like one of my only chances to get a job is to get an internship and work with a company and attempt to get hired full time by the same company. Do you think there's still a chance for me? Or have I wasted my time while in college and am better off with another degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
3.0 is all you need for engineering. You can still get hired if lower, but 3.0 will do quite nicely. In the USA, there are plenty of jobs for engineering. If you get an internship, great, if not, you can still get hired by any number of companies. As a college graduate or someone in an internship, you essentially know very little compared to the other people working at the company you that hires you. You will basically be in "helper stage" in either case.

Keep working hard, you will be fine.

Put all my effort into the first tests of the semester, ended up getting a 54 on my DE test, a 50 on my engineering economy test, a 75 on my statics, and an 80 in my cold war class.. I honestly don't know why I'm in college anymore.. I studied as hard as I could for those, and the results are the same, I refuse to withdraw from any of the classes because I'm not paying back the school anything. Is my future even in pursuing a degree? I made it to college for a reason, but I can't even get good grades so what's the point? I have yet to have gotten even an A- in college yet.. highest grade was a B. I feel lost, the only degree I feel comfortable with getting I'm failining at.

75 on statics is encouraging...you apparently got vectors down pretty well.

For the 54 and 50 tests...what were the class averages? Is there a curve?

The cold war class is just an gen ed...so kinda not so relevant...but nice job anyway.

Had you ever thought about changing majors? I had an ex-gf that was a math major and she did horribly no matter how hard she tried, she retook differential equations like 3 times till she finally decided to change majors. After doing so bad in math, she excelled in classics which I think she was studying like Greek, Roman, Latin, etc. literature and history.

If I changed my major, I would have no desire to go to college. You go to do what you love, and I love engineering..

The class average in that economy class was like 75, no curve.\

Another thing that stops me from doing good is I have like test anxiety or something, I honestly don't know exactly what it is.. But during tests my mind blanks and it's a struggle to recollect all the formulas and stuff, it's something I feel that I can't help. The stupid thing is college is all based off tests usually...

JJRKnights said:
If I changed my major, I would have no desire to go to college. You go to do what you love, and I love engineering..

The class average in that economy class was like 75, no curve.\

Another thing that stops me from doing good is I have like test anxiety or something, I honestly don't know exactly what it is.. But during tests my mind blanks and it's a struggle to recollect all the formulas and stuff, it's something I feel that I can't help. The stupid thing is college is all based off tests usually...

Well...I'm sure you heard this before...but..."Life isn't so much about what happens to us...life is about how we handle what happens to us".

Can't stress that point enough.

Are you going to lay down and quit...or are you going to try other things?

Do you have a study group to study with? College is a lot different than high school...high school they were giving out "A's" like candy...college not so much. In college, you actually have to think...and think at a very high level.

Are you studying correctly? Doing all your homework problems is obviously a good start.

If you love engineering as much as you say...then find a way.

And yes, there is no way to avoid the tests...it is the only way to find things out. Tests are also similar to work. Tough things you are not quite used to seeing and need to figure out.

You engineering economy class...how many hours a week you study on this one class? How many hours did you study for the test? Just curious.

Look at it like this as well...almost everyday of your life (or anyone's) things don't go as planned...or things turn out differently as planned.

Just like the results of your tests didn't come out as planned.

In other words...however you just studied for your tests...you need to drastically change something. You can't just say...oh well...I did my best and that's it. You need to realize that there are better study methods. A study group is one of the best ways. Stick around after class and ask people if they want to study...you'll be suprised how many say yes. And after putting all your heads together and brainstorming...you will all be smarter and get better grades. And if you're lucky, there will be a "lead-dog" in the group to really get things going...who knows, maybe that will even be you after time.

I just got my second DE test back.. I got a 64 on it.. Mathematically the highest possible grade I can get is 83.6, realistically if I put my mind to it, it would most likely be a C, but in this class on that test there were, 13 A's 12 B's 6 C's 8 D's and 7 F's. I seriously don't know if I should be in college.. I went from being in the high end in my AP's in high school to the low end of the spectrum in college..

Yes I do all of my homework. I work better alone, if I'm grouped with anyone I get lazy and dependent of their work. I think also because I have anxiety issues I don't like to work with other people because I usually don't feel comfortable.

For the engineering economy class, it's 2 hours a week 1 day a week, so I spend around 2 hours a week studying outside of class for that specifically, and before the test came up had 4 hours worth of studying in.

Honestly, would it even be worth continuing? 2.073 GPA almost finishing sophomore year.. The hardest thing to deal with would be basically letting my family down, if it was up to me I wouldn't be in college right now, the only thing that I enjoy about actually going is engineering and have no desire for anything else.

Last edited:
I lose more and more morale the farther I go into the degree, every semeser I tell myself I'm going to do good, and I end up getting bad grades, and I'm literally doing everything I can.. I might drop out, or if it comes down to it, the school will decide if I'm leaving.

JJRKnights said:
I just got my second DE test back.. I got a 64 on it.. Mathematically the highest possible grade I can get is 83.6, realistically if I put my mind to it, it would most likely be a C, but in this class on that test there were, 13 A's 12 B's 6 C's 8 D's and 7 F's. I seriously don't know if I should be in college.. I went from being in the high end in my AP's in high school to the low end of the spectrum in college..

Yes I do all of my homework. I work better alone, if I'm grouped with anyone I get lazy and dependent of their work. I think also because I have anxiety issues I don't like to work with other people because I usually don't feel comfortable.

For the engineering economy class, it's 2 hours a week 1 day a week, so I spend around 2 hours a week studying outside of class for that specifically, and before the test came up had 4 hours worth of studying in.

Honestly, would it even be worth continuing? 2.073 GPA almost finishing sophomore year.. The hardest thing to deal with would be basically letting my family down, if it was up to me I wouldn't be in college right now, the only thing that I enjoy about actually going is engineering and have no desire for anything else.

Congratulations, I just found your problem. You are not studying enough! WOW.

You study 2 hours a week for one class? Holy cow...it's a wonder you got a 54%.

Time for you to wake up. I believe the formula is at least 3 hours of studying for each hour in class...and that's minimum. Then you say you only studied 4 hours for the exam before hand...again...not nearly enough. The amount of time you are investing is paying you the exact dividends that you deserve. That's engineering economy test is tough right? You bet you it is...scratching the surface on a subject will yield you an "F" every time. You need to learn a subject backwards and forwards...well enough so you can teach it.

Again, most high schools are a joke. (there are a few exceptions). This is college...whole new ballgame.

I don't know what your work schedule is...but any class you are struggling in means you need to be studying night and day...So if you are not sleeping, working or in class...you are studying. After you catch on...you can ease off a bit...but not until then.

Is there a way that I could basically start fresh with a brand new GPA in college, or even another college? If I had the chance to start over I would.

My usual schedule is 10-6 on monday on campus, 7 am - 8 pm on wednesday, 7 am - 3 pm on friday, and i have to say i have one priority over school work and that's working out. I will not sacrifice a workout for studying and that's period for me lol, I'd much prefer having a fitter lifestyle over some of the bums that I see in the school that get A's but they look like crap. They usually don't take much time usually like 1-3 hours depending on what it is and how i feel. so that's already a good chunk of 5 days of the week taken from studying, but I guess I'll try to keep you guys informed on my latest grades.

JJRKnights said:
Is there a way that I could basically start fresh with a brand new GPA in college, or even another college? If I had the chance to start over I would.

So you clearly understand that you are not studying enough? Don't get too flustered...you are no different than the other 50% of students in their early years. It's perfectly normal to not understand the amount of work that goes into an engineering degree.

The question is this...what are you going to do from this moment forward? You don't need to start fresh, you need to be an actual college student. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it right? And it would be worth a damn thing.

JJRKnights said:
My usual schedule is 10-6 on monday on campus, 7 am - 8 pm on wednesday, 7 am - 3 pm on friday, and i have to say i have one priority over school work and that's working out. I will not sacrifice a workout for studying and that's period for me lol, I'd much prefer having a fitter lifestyle over some of the bums that I see in the school that get A's but they look like crap. They usually don't take much time usually like 1-3 hours depending on what it is and how i feel. so that's already a good chunk of 5 days of the week taken from studying, but I guess I'll try to keep you guys informed on my latest grades.

Cool. You'll need to be in shape for manual labor after you fail out.

Harsh words...I know. Let them burn for a while.

It's great to stay in shape...but you need balance more than anything. How about tons of studying for decent grades...with a reasonable workout program?

Here's another question. Are you studying 8 hours on Saturday and 8 hours on Sunday?

As they say..."Pay me now, or pay me later".

Look at it this way as well...had you asked Dr. Phil this question...would he not have gave the same exact answer?

psparky said:
Cool. You'll need to be in shape for manual labor after you fail out.

Harsh words...I know. Let them burn for a while.

It's great to stay in shape...but you need balance more than anything. How about tons of studying for decent grades...with a reasonable workout program?

Here's another question. Are you studying 8 hours on Saturday and 8 hours on Sunday?

As they say..."Pay me now, or pay me later".

Honestly, they aren't that harsh, I don't even care much about college, but while I'm here why not try to do better? No, I have a social life lol, I don't have time for all that. I study as much as I can during the week.

Well, you asked for advice, and I gave it.

Unless you change your study habits...you will continue your solid C average.

Look on the bright side...C's get degrees.

I understand, but what's the rates of a C average engineering degree getting a job in engineering, probably less than 5%? Seems like my life is already ruined and I'm only 19.. It's crazy how things work these days.

JJRKnights said:
I understand, but what's the rates of a C average engineering degree getting a job in engineering, probably less than 5%? Seems like my life is already ruined and I'm only 19.. It's crazy how things work these days.

Interesting...I failed out of college when I was doing the same crap you are...at the same exact age of 19. Pretty well built too if I recall. Framed houses and decks and all that fun stuff over the next 10 years. When you reach age 30 this stuff isn't so fun anymore. Not to mention your salary is less than stellar.

Finally wised up at age 30. Got my EE degree by 33 (you better believe I was studying at least 30 hours a week)...and my P.E at age 41.

If I could do it over again...I woulda definitely got my degree by age 22. Waiting to do it by age 30 cost me litterally hundreds of thousands of dollars.

See what I mean kid. I WAS YOU. That's why I'm trying to keep you from making same mistake.

On the flip side...at age 19 your life hasn't even begin. You are basically a child. Wise up...what's going to do you best in the long run? Because before you know it you are going to be 40.

You're right, I do need to wise up.

I've been finding reasons to keep myself to believe that I'm not going to make it in college. Like sounding defeated when it's not over yet.

I'm going to try to study even more, and find more ways to efficiently study, i just asked a friend if he wanted to study for that economy class and we agreed on once a week at least. Getting out of my shell of studying alone.

Due to poor performance on my first 2 tests in DE and a bad first test in engineering economy, I decided to drop both of them now..

Under GPA alert in my college, and I have to take advantage of a withdrawal. I have a guarantee'd A class(assuming we actually build the boat and successfully make it across this pond), Cold War where I have a C in(with 2 tests left and a term paper), and Statics where I should get a B or an A.

Only one further comment:

"Wherever you go...there you are".

Cherish these words...always.

Some people just naturally need to put in more work than others who might have fundamental concepts come to them easier.

Last semester I had a 3.8 GPA, but I practically studied 24/7. I'd wake up, read while eating breakfast, head to the campus and sit in the library studying when I didn't need to go to class. Read during lunch and dinner as well, and I honestly did not eat healthy due to time constraints because I couldn't spend too much time cooking.

I never timed myself, but from 6am - 10pm every day, I studied and on the weekends when I didn't have class, those weekends were straight 12+ hour study days.

I honestly expected a 4.0 after all that effort, but I realized I am not naturally smart enough to perfect all of the subjects I took within the given time frame I had (of one semester).

With the amount of hours you seem to be putting in studying, maybe you should reconsider sacrificing some activities or scheduling/managing your time more efficiently/optimally. You can't have your cake and eat it too, as such is life.

Last semester I took physics, math, and chemistry and I can attest that I've never studied so much in my entire life. I learned that the difference between an A and a B is extremely huge, much more than just 10% more effort for 10% more grade, its about 200% more effort for 10% more grade

My biggest advice I can give you is plan your work load carefully.

Meaning if you know you arn't mature enough to handle a heavy work load, take a few easy classes and one hard class.

Don't beat yourself too much, just take a lighter course load next semester and see how you handle it. It also seems you gave up too early. I failed my first calculus test but then I slowly progressed and learned how the teacher gives tests and got a B for my final grade. Silly me wanted to drop the class during that first test.

Also you are forgetting one valuable thing about Engineers. You can take the FE (Fundamental Engineering Exam) and that will offset your less then stellar GPA if you can stick that on your resume`.

I have been in the industry as various positions for 5 years. I work with many engineer's and I can tell you first hand. Experience triumps GPA any day of the week. In fact you can almost leave it off your resume` with good experience and a FE cert.

From the looks of it you already gave up though, you need to taste the real world for a little bit. You will be back.

Woopydalan said:
Last semester I took physics, math, and chemistry and I can attest that I've never studied so much in my entire life. I learned that the difference between an A and a B is extremely huge, much more than just 10% more effort for 10% more grade, its about 200% more effort for 10% more grade

Couldn't agree more with this statement. That's why they say a 3.0 is a good middle ground. Still a ton of work...but manageable.

smashbrohamme said:
My biggest advice I can give you is plan your work load carefully.

Meaning if you know you arn't mature enough to handle a heavy work load, take a few easy classes and one hard class.

Don't beat yourself too much, just take a lighter course load next semester and see how you handle it. It also seems you gave up too early. I failed my first calculus test but then I slowly progressed and learned how the teacher gives tests and got a B for my final grade. Silly me wanted to drop the class during that first test.

Also you are forgetting one valuable thing about Engineers. You can take the FE (Fundamental Engineering Exam) and that will offset your less then stellar GPA if you can stick that on your resume`.

I have been in the industry as various positions for 5 years. I work with many engineer's and I can tell you first hand. Experience triumps GPA any day of the week. In fact you can almost leave it off your resume` with good experience and a FE cert.

From the looks of it you already gave up though, you need to taste the real world for a little bit. You will be back.

I agree that the FE on your resume can offset GPA. But on the flip side of that...if you have a 2.0 GPA...the FE will almost be impossible to pass in my opinion. If you do attempt to pass FE with this GPA...you are going to need to study for 200 hours and relearn everything you should have learned in the first place. Probably better off just to do it right from the start.

Also, I think its tough to carry a 2.0...simply because it means you are missing key points in subjects...and the subjects seem to keep building off each other. Sooner or later you are going to get in trouble and fail.

Also, it's very possible that some aren't ready for college. Most teenagers are not ready. Yes, get a taste of the real world...it's ugly out there...be forewarned.

1. What are the best study strategies for a successful spring semester?

Some effective study strategies for a successful spring semester include creating a study schedule, breaking down large tasks into smaller ones, utilizing active learning techniques such as practice problems or teaching the material to someone else, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed.

2. How can I balance academics and extracurricular activities during the spring semester?

To balance academics and extracurricular activities, it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Consider which activities are most important to you and allocate time for them accordingly. Also, make sure to schedule in designated study time and avoid procrastination.

3. What resources are available to help with career planning during my sophomore year?

Many universities offer career planning services, such as career counseling, workshops, and resume building assistance. Additionally, networking events and internships can also provide valuable guidance and experience in career planning during your sophomore year.

4. How can I make the most out of my spring semester as a sophomore?

To make the most out of your spring semester as a sophomore, consider setting specific academic and personal goals, getting involved in campus organizations, building relationships with professors and peers, and taking advantage of opportunities for personal and professional growth.

5. What advice do you have for managing stress and maintaining mental health during the spring semester?

It is important to prioritize self-care during the spring semester to manage stress and maintain mental health. This can include setting aside time for relaxation and hobbies, seeking support from friends and family, and utilizing campus resources such as counseling services if needed. Additionally, staying organized and on top of tasks can help prevent overwhelming stress.