What are some recommended books for improving mathematical physics skills?

In summary, the individual has expressed a strong desire to become proficient in mathematical physics. They have provided a list of books from various libraries that they could use to achieve this goal. However, they are unsure of where to start and which books to progress to next. They have a basic understanding of introductory CM, EM, and QM, but their math skills are limited to ODES. They have set a goal of dedicating two years to studying the topic and aim to understand the math behind any branch of physics, including string theory. They have also received advice to be patient and not rush their learning, as it takes time to truly understand physics.
aLearner
So I really want to get good at mathematical physics. Below is a list of books I could get from various libraries, but I don't know which one's I should start with and which to do next and so on. I currently understand intro CM, EM, and QM. My math skills are very basic (ODES as of now). I thank you for your time.

Mathematical Physics :

1) Mathematical methods for physics and engineering - Riley, Hobson
2) Math methods in physics and engineering with Mathematica - F. Cap
3) Applied Mathematical Methods in Theoretical Physics - Masujima M.
4) A Guided Tour of Mathematical Physics - Roel Snieder
5) A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics - Groups, Hilbert
6) Equations of Mathematical Physics - Bitsadze A.V.
7) Mathematical Tools for Physics - J. Nearing
8) Mathematical Methods for Physicists - a Concise Introduction - T. Chow
9) The Fourier Transform And Its Applications - Bracewell
10) Calculus Of Variations With Applications To Physics & Engineering - R. Weinstock
11) Determinants and their applications in mathematical physics - Vein R., Dale P.
12) Geometry, Topology and Physics - M.Nakahara
13) Introduction to Groups, Invariants and Particles - F. Kirk
14) Differential Geometry - Analysis and Physics - J. Lee
15) Topology & Geometry in Physics - Steffen
16) Topology and Geometry for Physicists - C. Nash, S. Sen
17) Twistor Geometry, Supersymmetric Field Theories in Supertring Theory - C. Samann
18) Modern Differential Geometry for Physicists 2nd ed., - C. Isham
19) Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, 2nd ed. - V.I. Arnold
20) Nonlinear Physics with Mathematica for Scientists and Engineers - R. Ennis, G. McGuire
21) Chaos - Classical and Quantum - P. Civitanovic
22) Chaos and Structures in Geophysics and Astrophysics - Provenzale & Balmforth
23) From calculus to chaos - Acheson
24) Mathematical topics between classical and quantum mechanics - Landsman N.P.
25) Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics Vol 1 - Functional Analysis 2nd. ed. - M. Reed
26) Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics Vol 2 - Fourier Analysis, Self Adjointness -2nd ed., - M. Reed
27) Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics Vol 3 - Scattering Theory - M. Reed
28) Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics Vol 4 - Analysis of Operators - M. Reed
29) Numerical Quantum Dynamics - W. Schweizer
30) Quantum Geometry - A Statistical Field Theory Approach - Ambje, Durhuus B., Jonsson T
31) Supersymmetric methods in quantum and statistical physics - Junker G.
32) Path integrals and their applications in quantum, statistical, and solid state physics - Papadopoulos , J. T. Devreese
33) Path Integrals in Physics Volume 1 Stochastic Process & Quantum Mechanics - M. Chaichian, A. Demichev
34) Path integrals in physics, vol.2. QFT, statistical physics and modern applications - Chaichian M., Demichev A.

also, feel free to modify the list in any way. I hope to dedicate two solid years on the subject, and at the end, be able to look at any physics branch and undertand the math behind it (even string theory).
-aLearner

Physics news on Phys.org
aLearner said:
I hope to dedicate two solid years on the subject, and at the end, be able to look at any physics branch and undertand the math behind it (even string theory).

You should realize that this is not possible in two years (or ever). So don't feel disappointed if you don't meet your goals in the end.

You have to be patient to learn physics. It won't happen overnight, so don't rush it. It always feels like you don't know enough and that will never go away, so you should just accept it. Haste makes waste. You don't want to spend too much time dwelling on things, either, but if you go too fast, it won't hang together and you'll be wasting your time.

aLearner said:
So I really want to get good at mathematical physics. Below is a list of books I could get from various libraries, but I don't know which one's I should start with and which to do next and so on. I currently understand intro CM, EM, and QM. My math skills are very basic (ODES as of now). I thank you for your time.

Mathematical Physics :

1) Mathematical methods for physics and engineering - Riley, Hobson
2) Math methods in physics and engineering with Mathematica - F. Cap
3) Applied Mathematical Methods in Theoretical Physics - Masujima M.
4) A Guided Tour of Mathematical Physics - Roel Snieder
5) A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics - Groups, Hilbert
6) Equations of Mathematical Physics - Bitsadze A.V.
7) Mathematical Tools for Physics - J. Nearing
8) Mathematical Methods for Physicists - a Concise Introduction - T. Chow
9) The Fourier Transform And Its Applications - Bracewell
10) Calculus Of Variations With Applications To Physics & Engineering - R. Weinstock
11) Determinants and their applications in mathematical physics - Vein R., Dale P.
12) Geometry, Topology and Physics - M.Nakahara
13) Introduction to Groups, Invariants and Particles - F. Kirk
14) Differential Geometry - Analysis and Physics - J. Lee
15) Topology & Geometry in Physics - Steffen
16) Topology and Geometry for Physicists - C. Nash, S. Sen
17) Twistor Geometry, Supersymmetric Field Theories in Supertring Theory - C. Samann
18) Modern Differential Geometry for Physicists 2nd ed., - C. Isham
19) Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, 2nd ed. - V.I. Arnold
20) Nonlinear Physics with Mathematica for Scientists and Engineers - R. Ennis, G. McGuire
21) Chaos - Classical and Quantum - P. Civitanovic
22) Chaos and Structures in Geophysics and Astrophysics - Provenzale & Balmforth
23) From calculus to chaos - Acheson
24) Mathematical topics between classical and quantum mechanics - Landsman N.P.
25) Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics Vol 1 - Functional Analysis 2nd. ed. - M. Reed
26) Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics Vol 2 - Fourier Analysis, Self Adjointness -2nd ed., - M. Reed
27) Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics Vol 3 - Scattering Theory - M. Reed
28) Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics Vol 4 - Analysis of Operators - M. Reed
29) Numerical Quantum Dynamics - W. Schweizer
30) Quantum Geometry - A Statistical Field Theory Approach - Ambje, Durhuus B., Jonsson T
31) Supersymmetric methods in quantum and statistical physics - Junker G.
32) Path integrals and their applications in quantum, statistical, and solid state physics - Papadopoulos , J. T. Devreese
33) Path Integrals in Physics Volume 1 Stochastic Process & Quantum Mechanics - M. Chaichian, A. Demichev
34) Path integrals in physics, vol.2. QFT, statistical physics and modern applications - Chaichian M., Demichev A.

also, feel free to modify the list in any way. I hope to dedicate two solid years on the subject, and at the end, be able to look at any physics branch and undertand the math behind it (even string theory).
-aLearner

The books I have bolded are all excellent books IMO. Your book selection seems to be great already! I think Sneider is an ideal start as he reviews all calculus and Lin Alg concepts and then makes connections to physics. Also check out Mathematical Methods for Physical Sciences - Mary Boas. Another excellent resource. Maybe you can use Sneider and Boas in conjuction! Take heed however, go slowly and thoroughly; as micromass has suggested, 2 years seems too ambitious. Don't rush through it just because you need to meet the deadline.

Good Luck!

SolsticeFire

micromass said:
You should realize that this is not possible in two years (or ever). So don't feel disappointed if you don't meet your goals in the end.

homeomorphic said:
You have to be patient to learn physics. It won't happen overnight, so don't rush it. It always feels like you don't know enough and that will never go away, so you should just accept it. Haste makes waste. You don't want to spend too much time dwelling on things, either, but if you go too fast, it won't hang together and you'll be wasting your time.

SolsticeFire said:
The books I have bolded are all excellent books IMO. Your book selection seems to be great already! I think Sneider is an ideal start as he reviews all calculus and Lin Alg concepts and then makes connections to physics. Also check out Mathematical Methods for Physical Sciences - Mary Boas. Another excellent resource. Maybe you can use Sneider and Boas in conjuction! Take heed however, go slowly and thoroughly; as micromass has suggested, 2 years seems too ambitious. Don't rush through it just because you need to meet the deadline.

Good Luck!

SolsticeFire

micromass, homeomorphic, and solstice, thank you for the advice. And thanks for the organizational list solstice fire. Yes, I do have Mary Baos' Mathematical Methods ! How could I not after Taylor brags about it in his book a lot! But anyway, I think thread got me my answers, see you all in another webpage!
-Thanks again

I like very much the book "Mathematical methods of Physics" by Mathews and Walker.
I also second the suggestion that Solsticefire made about Boas' book. In fact starting with Boas' book and then moving further would be a good way to go.

1. What is the difference between a mathematical physicist and a regular physicist?

A mathematical physicist uses mathematical techniques to solve physical problems, while a regular physicist focuses on experimental or theoretical research in the field of physics.

2. What skills are necessary to become a successful mathematical physicist?

A strong background in mathematics, particularly in areas such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, is essential for a mathematical physicist. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also important.

3. How does mathematical physics contribute to our understanding of the physical world?

Mathematical physics provides a rigorous and precise framework for explaining and predicting physical phenomena. It allows us to develop mathematical models that accurately describe the behavior of complex systems, such as the laws of motion or the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Can mathematical physics be applied in other fields besides physics?

Yes, mathematical physics techniques can be applied in various fields, including engineering, finance, and computer science, to name a few. The ability to use mathematical models to solve complex problems is a valuable skill in many industries.

5. What are some current areas of research in mathematical physics?

Current research in mathematical physics includes topics such as quantum field theory, string theory, and the study of complex systems and networks. Other areas of interest include cosmology, astrophysics, and the application of mathematical models to understand biological systems.