Can't get references sorted alphabetically with BibTeX

In summary: Do you know which package I must use in order to these styles work?I tried 'biblatex' instead of 'natlib' with a few of those styles you showed me, none of them worked.
marcio
Hi all,

Could you help me figure out what packages I should use to get all references sorted alphabetically?

These are the packages and settings I'm using... I've tested many without success:

\usepackage{natbib}
\bibpunct{(}{)}{;}{a}{,}{,}
%...
\bibliographystyle{plainnat}
\renewcommand{\bibname}{Referências}
\bibliography{Referencias}

Thank you in advance

Márcio

Physics news on Phys.org
Do have a look here:
http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/reference/faq/bibstyles.pdf

DrDu said:
Do have a look here:
http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/reference/faq/bibstyles.pdf

Do you know what package I must use in order to these styles work?

I tried 'biblatex' instead of 'natlib' with a few of those styles you showed me, none of them worked.

Very much appreciated

Márcio

You don't need any package at all. I would try it out
using only

\bibliographystyle{plainnat} %or whatever style you chose

However it may be that you don't have all of the bibstyles installed on your computer although most of them should come with any modern tex-distribution.

DrDu said:
You don't need any package at all. I would try it out
using only

\bibliographystyle{plainnat} %or whatever style you chose

However it may be that you don't have all of the bibstyles installed on your computer although most of them should come with any modern tex-distribution.

Hi DrDu,

I tried with 4 packages (abbrvnat, plainnat, unsrtnat and apasoft, but the later didn't work at al) which seemed to work for my PhD thesis. All of them showed the references like this:

[Zhu et al.(2005)Zhu, Zheng, Guo, and Zhu]

and not like this:

Zhu et al.(2005)

meaning they all put the names of all authors after they are cited.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Maybe you can show us a small example file and some information about what distribution you are using on which platform?

I could reproduce this. The styles you tried require
\usepackage[sort]{natbib}

DrDu said:
I could reproduce this. The styles you tried require
\usepackage[sort]{natbib}

It worked like a charm after your suggestion of adding 'sort' and after I replaced 'plainnat' with 'ametsoc'.
I'm using MikTeX on Windows 8.

Thank you very much

Márcio

1. Why won't BibTeX sort my references alphabetically?

BibTeX is a program used for formatting bibliographies in LaTeX documents. By default, BibTeX will sort references in the order in which they are cited in the document. If you want your references to be sorted alphabetically, you need to specify a style that supports alphabetical sorting, such as plain or alpha.

2. How can I change the sorting style of my references in BibTeX?

To change the sorting style of your references in BibTeX, you need to specify a different bibliography style in your LaTeX document. This can be done by using the \bibliographystyle command and passing in the desired style, such as \bibliographystyle{plain} for alphabetical sorting.

3. Can I customize the sorting order of my references in BibTeX?

Yes, you can customize the sorting order of your references in BibTeX by using a custom bibliography style. You can either create your own style or modify an existing one. This requires knowledge of BibTeX syntax and may be more advanced for novice users.

4. Why are some of my references not being sorted alphabetically in BibTeX?

There are a few potential reasons why some of your references may not be sorted alphabetically in BibTeX. One possibility is that the entries in your bibliography file are not in alphabetical order. Another possibility is that your bibliography style does not support alphabetical sorting. You may need to try a different style or customize your own.

5. Can I manually change the order of my references in BibTeX?

Yes, you can manually change the order of your references in BibTeX by using the \bibliography command. This allows you to specify the order of the references in your bibliography file, regardless of the citation order in your document. However, this method is not recommended as it can be time-consuming and may lead to errors if not done carefully.