Register to reply

Why can't you remove hydroxide from Al(OH)3 with alkali metals?

by Decimator
Tags: alkali, aloh3, hydroxide, metals, remove
Share this thread:
Decimator
Nov10-13, 11:09 AM
P: 39
So I've tried to research a bit on refining aluminum without fluorine, and I came up with the idea of reacting the hydroxide off aluminum hydroxide with sodium or potassium. Only problem is, the reaction doesn't work, according to what I've found. I'm curious why, as the electronegativity table seems to indicate that Na or P should preferentially react with the hydroxide ions.

I appear to have a gap in my reasoning somewhere, so what am I missing?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Seeing is bead-lieving: Scientists create model 'bead-spring' chains with tunable properties
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Borek
Nov10-13, 12:35 PM
Admin
P: 23,378
No idea what kind of reaction you are talking about, please write the reaction equation.
Decimator
Nov10-13, 06:36 PM
If it worked, it would be 3Na + Al(OH)3 → Al + 3NaOH.

Borek
Nov11-13, 03:29 AM
Admin
Why can't you remove hydroxide from Al(OH)3 with alkali metals?

OK

Electronegativities are not the only thing that matters. What matters is the thermodynamical stability of products. In this case mixture of Al and NaOH is not stable - Al nicely dissolves in the alkali producing sodium aluminate. In the presence of water reaction is (more or less)

2NaOH + 2Al + 2H2O → 2NaAlO2 + 3H2

When there is no water around situation gets more complicated, but you can still expect hydrogen to evolve and some kind of aluminate or mixed oxide to be produced. That's because Al is amphoteric, and its hydroxide can react both as an acid and as a base.
Decimator
Nov11-13, 12:35 PM
So for the non-aqueous reaction, it would be something like, but not necessarily, 4Na + 2Al(OH)3 → 2NaAlO2 + 2NaOH + H2?
Borek
Nov11-13, 12:53 PM
Admin
I would check if there is no mixed oxide like Na2OAl2O3 - which would be a most likely product then.

Many salts can be described as mixed oxides, and they are present in many minerals (see for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinel_group).

Register to reply