Register to reply

Confusion on applying right hand rule

by Genericcoder
Tags: applying, confusion, hand, rule
Share this thread:
Genericcoder
Nov23-13, 12:07 PM
P: 131
Hi guys I always get confused when I do the right hand rule like here when I apply it to this problem I am getting different answer than what the book have.

A uniform magnetic field B, with magnitude 1.2 mT, points vertically upward throughout the volume of the room in which you are sitting. A proton with kinetic energy of 5.3 MeV moves horizontally to the north through a certain point in the room. What magnetic deflecting force acts on the proton as it passes through this point ? The proton mass is 1.67 * 10^-27 kg.

so Fb = 6.1 * 10^-15 N; the book then says the force is sideways in horzontally to the east. I am getting it pointing in the z direction even when using cross product

FB = q<v,0,0> x <0,B,0>

Fb = qvB k^ direction
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Nugatory
Nov23-13, 12:35 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,458
What's your convention for relating north/south, east/west, and up/down to the x, y, and z axes? You know you've mixed something up if the force isn't perpendicular to the B field and the velocity.

(I'm assuming that you are using i,, j, and k as unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions respectively).
Genericcoder
Nov23-13, 01:36 PM
P: 131
Ye I am using i j k as unit vectros x,y,and z directions respectively.. but I think thats what I have not relating north/south up down to x and y and z directions..

dauto
Nov23-13, 02:52 PM
Thanks
P: 1,948
Confusion on applying right hand rule

Shouldn't your field be (0,0,B)?

Register to reply