Molecular connectivity index

In summary, a Molecular Connectivity Index (MCI) is a numerical value that reflects the topological connectivity of a molecule and can be used to predict its physical and chemical properties. It is calculated by summing the products of bond weights and topological distances, and has various applications in chemistry and drug design. The accuracy of the index depends on the quality of the data used and it may not be as accurate for complex molecules. It can be used for different types of molecules, but may require adjustments for improved accuracy.
Rajini
Dear All,

I would like to know about (question related to computational chemistry):
what is valence molecular connectivity index of 3rd order cluster. Please provide an example?

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Rajini.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Hallo Greg,

The question is related to chemistry computational software.
I googled and got some relavant answers.. and forwarded to my friend who asked me help.

If there any more help and if i have further information will post here in future.

thanks,
-Rajini

1. What is a Molecular Connectivity Index (MCI)?

A Molecular Connectivity Index (MCI) is a numerical value that represents the topological connectivity of a molecule. It is calculated based on the number of bonds and atoms in a molecule and can be used to predict various physical and chemical properties of the molecule.

2. How is the Molecular Connectivity Index calculated?

The Molecular Connectivity Index is calculated by summing the products of bond weights and their corresponding topological distances. The bond weights are based on the bond type and atom types involved in the bond, and the topological distances are the number of bonds between two atoms in the molecule.

3. What are the applications of Molecular Connectivity Index?

Molecular Connectivity Index has various applications in chemistry and drug design. It can be used to predict physical and chemical properties of a molecule, such as boiling point, solubility, and toxicity. It is also used in quantitative structure-activity relationship (QSAR) studies to design new drugs with desired properties.

4. How accurate is the Molecular Connectivity Index in predicting properties of a molecule?

The accuracy of the Molecular Connectivity Index depends on the quality of the data used for its calculation. Generally, it is considered a good predictor for simple molecules but may not be as accurate for more complex molecules. Other factors, such as molecular symmetry and resonance, can also affect the accuracy of the index.

5. Can the Molecular Connectivity Index be used for all types of molecules?

The Molecular Connectivity Index is most commonly used for organic molecules, but it can also be applied to inorganic molecules and polymers. However, the bond weights and topological distances may need to be adjusted for different types of molecules to improve the accuracy of the index.