How Much Pressure Is Needed to Inject Water at 1.5g/s Through a Tiny Needle?

Where V is the volume flow, A is the cross-sectional area of the needle, and v is the velocity of the solution being injected. Using this equation, you can then solve for the required pressure difference to achieve a velocity of 1.5 g/s, which is about 1.5 cm/s. This will give you a pressure difference of about 287.5 kPa, slightly lower than the previous problem due to the smaller diameter of the needle. In summary, to inject a solution with the same density and viscosity as water at 20°C at a rate of 1.5 g/s using a hypodermic needle with a length of 3.2 cm and a diameter of 0.25 mm,
SoccaCrazy24
A patient is given an injection with a hypodermic needle 3.2 cm long and 0.25 mm in diameter. Assuming the solution being injected has the same density and viscosity as water at 20°C, find the pressure difference needed to inject the solution at the rate of 1.5 g/s.

ok I have the equation V = [(P1-P2)(pi*r^4)]/(8*n*L)
(P1-P2)= pressure difference
r= .000125 m
n= .0010055
L= .032 m
I do not know how I am suppose to transform 1.5g/s to m/s because I am unsure of how to transfer grams to meters... once i get that I can find the difference in pressure...

In a similar problem with diameter being .28mm the answer came out to be 320kPa... help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure energy is converted into kinetic energy.
To convert volume flow into velocity, you can consider:

[tex]\dot{V}= A\cdot v[/tex]

I would first like to commend you on your use of the correct equation for fluid flow rate. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept.

To address your question, you are correct in assuming that the units of grams per second (g/s) need to be converted to meters per second (m/s) in order to use the equation. In this case, we can use the density of water (1000 kg/m^3) to convert the mass flow rate to volume flow rate.

So, 1.5 g/s = (1.5/1000) kg/s = (1.5/1000)/1000 m^3/s = 1.5/1000000 m^3/s = 1.5*10^-6 m^3/s

Now, we can plug this value into the equation along with the other given values to find the pressure difference:

V = [(P1-P2)(pi*r^4)]/(8*n*L)

1.5*10^-6 m^3/s = [(P1-P2)(pi*(0.000125)^4)]/(8*0.0010055*0.032)

Solving for (P1-P2), we get:

(P1-P2) = (1.5*10^-6*8*0.0010055*0.032)/(pi*(0.000125)^4)

(P1-P2) = 39.5 Pa

Therefore, the pressure difference needed to inject the solution at the rate of 1.5 g/s is 39.5 Pa.

In the similar problem you mentioned with a diameter of 0.28 mm, the answer of 320 kPa seems reasonable. It is important to note that the pressure difference is highly dependent on the diameter of the needle, which is why the difference is much larger in that case.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Keep up the good work!

1. What is fluid pressure difference?

Fluid pressure difference is the difference in pressure between two points within a fluid. This can be caused by a change in depth, density, or velocity of the fluid.

2. How is fluid pressure difference measured?

Fluid pressure difference is typically measured using a manometer or pressure gauge. These devices use a column of liquid to measure the difference in pressure between two points.

3. What factors affect fluid pressure difference?

There are several factors that can affect fluid pressure difference, including the depth and density of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid, and the shape and size of the container holding the fluid.

4. What are some real-world applications of fluid pressure difference?

Fluid pressure difference is important in many fields, including hydraulics, aerodynamics, and oceanography. It is also used in everyday situations, such as measuring tire pressure or using a straw to drink a liquid.

5. How can fluid pressure difference be calculated?

Fluid pressure difference can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure difference, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the change in depth. Other equations may be used for more complex situations.