Dimension Question: How Does Math Shrink 3-D Shapes?

• Thread starter Wizardsblade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, the conversation discusses a professor shrinking a cube to a point and the implications of this for thinking about 3-D objects. The speaker ponders what other shapes would shrink to and wonders about the mathematical process used. They also question the validity of considering a point as a sphere.
Wizardsblade
I remember when I was in school my professor mathematically shrank a cube to a point and when he did so it was a sphere. So I was wondering does this mean that a sphere is the best way to think 3-D. Then I also wondered what would a square shrink to, I would guess a circle but I do not remember how he did this. Then I thought about a line... would it turn out to be a vector or would it stay a line? Anyhow I would be grateful if someone knew these answers of knows how the math was done to show this.
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wizardsblade said:
I remember when I was in school my professor mathematically shrank a cube to a point and when he did so it was a sphere. ... Anyhow I would be grateful if someone knew these answers of knows how the math was done to show this.

A point is a zero-dimensional object. It is not a line segment, a circle, or a sphere, or any other dimensioned object. It is mathematically invalid to speak of a point as being a sphere since a sphere has a non-zero radius by definition. For that matter, it is mathematically invalid to speak of a point as being any dimensioned object. Your professor was playing games with degeneracies.

Math can indeed be used to shrink 3-D shapes, and it is a fascinating concept to explore. The process of shrinking a shape involves using mathematical equations and principles to reduce the size of the shape while maintaining its overall structure and properties. In your example, your professor was able to shrink a cube to a point, resulting in a sphere. This is because a point is the smallest possible representation of a 3-D shape, and a sphere is the shape with the most symmetry and equal distance from its center point.

While a sphere may be the most common and intuitive 3-D shape, it is not necessarily the "best" way to think about 3-D. Different shapes have different properties and uses, and it ultimately depends on the context in which the shape is being used. For example, a cube may be a more practical shape for building structures, while a sphere may be more useful for calculations involving volume.

Shrinking a square to a circle is also possible using mathematical equations. This is because a circle is essentially a 2-D version of a sphere, with all points on the edge equidistant from the center. A line, on the other hand, would not become a vector when shrunk, as a vector is a mathematical object with both magnitude and direction. A line would simply become a point when shrunk using mathematical principles.

Overall, the process of mathematically shrinking 3-D shapes is a complex and interesting concept that requires a deep understanding of geometry and mathematical principles. If you are interested in learning more about this topic, I would recommend exploring resources on geometry and spatial mathematics. There are also various online tools and simulations that allow you to visualize and manipulate 3-D shapes using mathematical equations. I hope this helps answer your questions and sparks your curiosity about the wonders of math!

1. How does math shrink 3-D shapes?

Math can shrink 3-D shapes through the use of scaling and proportionality. Scaling involves multiplying the dimensions of a shape by a certain factor, while proportionality involves keeping the ratios between dimensions the same.

2. What is the purpose of shrinking 3-D shapes?

Shrinking 3-D shapes can help with visualization and understanding of complex objects, as well as making them easier to work with in mathematical calculations and simulations.

3. Can any 3-D shape be shrunk using math?

Yes, any 3-D shape can be shrunk using math. However, the degree to which it can be shrunk may vary depending on the shape's complexity and the intended purpose of the shrinking.

4. Are there different methods for shrinking 3-D shapes?

Yes, there are various methods for shrinking 3-D shapes, including scaling, proportionality, and transformations such as rotations and translations.

5. How can shrinking 3-D shapes be applied in real life?

Shrinking 3-D shapes has many practical applications, such as in architecture and engineering for creating scaled models of buildings and objects. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic and detailed 3-D models. Additionally, shrinking can be used in scientific fields such as biology and chemistry to visualize and study complex molecular structures.