Understand Thevenin's Theorem Easily

In summary, a Thevenin equivalent circuit is just a simplified version of a circuit that has the same voltage at the terminals as the original circuit. If you want to analyze a load resistor within a complicated circuit, you can think of it as just having a Thevenin equivalent circuit at the terminals of the resistor.
Tido611
ok i need a little bit of help understanding this, I've read over it ten times and it still is making no sense to me

"a given network, with constant voltages and resistance produces a current flow in the load resistor equal to that which flows if the load resistor were applied across an equivalent circuit which has a) an internal resistnace measured at the terminals of the circiut with the voltage source replaced by its equivalent internal resistance; b)a vltage at the termainlas equal to that existing in the original circiut after removal of the load resistor"

like i said I've read it ten times and I am still pulling nothing from it so if anyone could explain this in simpler terms it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole point of thevenin theorem is analyze a load resistor within a complicated circuit.

It turns out however, that a glob of voltage/current sources, and resistors interconnected together along with a load resistor can be reduced to 1 voltage source (thevenin) and 1 special resistor (thevenin resistor).

And if you connect in series the thevenin voltage source with thevenin resistor and your load resistor it will be the same as if your load resistor was connected to the original complicated circuit.

Check out http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-002Circuits-and-ElectronicsFall2000/VideoLectures/index.htm .

Check them all out if you have the time. The teacher is awesome and funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tido611 said:
ok i need a little bit of help understanding this, I've read over it ten times and it still is making no sense to me
"a given network, with constant voltages and resistance produces a current flow in the load resistor equal to that which flows if the load resistor were applied across an equivalent circuit which has a) an internal resistnace measured at the terminals of the circiut with the voltage source replaced by its equivalent internal resistance; b)a vltage at the termainlas equal to that existing in the original circiut after removal of the load resistor"
like i said I've read it ten times and I am still pulling nothing from it so if anyone could explain this in simpler terms it would be greatly appreciated.
You can think of a Thevenin equivalent circuit as just the total voltage of a circuit. Imagine looking in from the outside - you don't care WHERE the voltage comes from; you just want the total number value. This can be found usually by a voltage divider across a load resistor which is placed at the circuits output terminals.

That's what that description is trying to say.

Thanks a lot for the info and the link, so far it looks very informative but i think i will need to get a little more understanding befire i can fully grasp most of that stuff.

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that any linear electrical network can be replaced by an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistor. This simplifies the analysis of complex circuits and allows for easier calculation of current and voltage values.

2. How do you find the Thevenin equivalent voltage?

To find the Thevenin equivalent voltage, you need to first remove the load resistor and calculate the open-circuit voltage across the load terminals. This is the Thevenin voltage. Alternatively, you can calculate the Thevenin voltage by finding the voltage drop across the load resistor when a test current is passed through it.

3. Can Thevenin's Theorem be applied to non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's Theorem only applies to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits, such as circuits with diodes or transistors, cannot be simplified using this theorem.

4. What is the purpose of Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem allows for the simplification of complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and calculate values such as current and voltage. It also helps in determining the maximum power transfer in a circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to Thevenin's Theorem?

Yes, Thevenin's Theorem has some limitations. It can only be applied to circuits with independent sources, and it assumes that the circuit is in steady-state. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of temperature or frequency on the circuit.