Anyone familiar with Richard Courant and Fritz John?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary, Springer publishes two volumes of classical textbooks, Introduction to Calculus and Analysis Volume 1 and Volume 2. Volume 1 does not include solutions to the problems at the end of each chapter, but Volume 2 does. Additionally, there is a separate solution manual for Volume 1 written by Prof. Albert A. Blank. These books, along with "Calculus" by Spivak, are all highly recommended for learning calculus.
Werg22
Springer publishes a set of two volumes of classical textbooks, Introduction to Calculus and Analysys Volume 1 and Introduction to Calculus and Analysys Volume 2. I am currently using Volume 1 for self studying... whilst I do like theory better than solving problems I find the latter still essantial. In volume 1, no solution is provided to the numerous problems at the end of each chapter... I was wondering if anyone who is in the know could tell me if Volume 2 includes all the solutions. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solutions for 2.

You mean volume 2 only has the solutions for the problems in it, excluding volume 1?

Yes. That's Wiley, Springer may have invested the time and money for vol. 1, but not likely.

That's sad to learn... Volume 1 had some hard exercices.

I'm almost certain volume 1 had solutions at the back. I could also be imagining things. :smile:

you imagined it. (-:

i taught out of vol 1 and never noticed whether any solutions were privded. try to get beyond looking in the back for answers, as it really does not help you learn.

While copying proofs or procedures out of a solutions manual is a poor way to learn mathematics, it is, I believe, beneficial to have a set of answers to check your final result against. I too would like to have a solution manual for Courant.

By the way, mathwonk, how would you compare the first volume "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" (Courant and John) with "Calculus" (Spivak). Since you have taught out of the former (and I assume you are at least briefly familiar with Spivak), I would be interested in your analysis. Thanks!

Werg22 said:
Springer publishes a set of two volumes of classical textbooks, Introduction to Calculus and Analysys Volume 1 and Introduction to Calculus and Analysys Volume 2. I am currently using Volume 1 for self studying... whilst I do like theory better than solving problems I find the latter still essantial. In volume 1, no solution is provided to the numerous problems at the end of each chapter... I was wondering if anyone who is in the know could tell me if Volume 2 includes all the solutions. Thanks in advance.

An accompanying solution manual for Volume I was prepared by Prof. Albert A. Blank back when the book was first published. Vol II saw the inclusion of these solutions. Needless to say, the book "Problems in Calculus and Analysis" by A.A. Blank, is in fact the original solution manual to Courant's Volume I. As to whether or not it is still in print, is an entirely different question.

i have taught out of both courant and john, and spivak. spivak is more fun and in a sense easier to read, but i think you may learn more (in the sense of diversity) from courant and john if you try hard enough. however mike spivak is a friend of mine and a genius, and i myself first really felt i learned calculus by reading his book. he is a superb teacher. you cannot go wrong with any of these books, they are all terrific. it is like choosing between a bmw and a mercedes.

this feels like a rude thing to say since it is probably wrong, but I still sort of want to say that if you feel the need of a solutions manulal for these books then you are not at the level these books were aimed at.

Last edited:

1. Who are Richard Courant and Fritz John?

Richard Courant and Fritz John were two renowned mathematicians and scientists who made significant contributions to the field of mathematics and physics.

2. What are some of their major achievements?

Richard Courant and Fritz John are most well-known for their work in the field of partial differential equations, with their book "Methods of Mathematical Physics" being a highly influential and widely used text in this area. They also made significant contributions to the fields of fluid mechanics, optimization, and numerical analysis.

3. When did they live and work?

Richard Courant was born in 1888 and passed away in 1972, while Fritz John was born in 1910 and passed away in 1994. They both lived and worked primarily in Europe and the United States.

4. What impact have they had on the scientific community?

Richard Courant and Fritz John's work has had a lasting impact on the scientific community, particularly in the fields of mathematics and physics. Their contributions have been influential in shaping the way these subjects are studied and understood today.

5. Are there any notable collaborations between Courant and John?

Yes, Richard Courant and Fritz John had a close working relationship and collaborated on several projects together, including their famous book "Methods of Mathematical Physics". They also worked together on various research projects and taught courses together at various universities.