By Crikey Crocodile hunter is dead

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know... class?.In summary, Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin was killed in a freak accident while filming a marine documentary.
tribdog
just caught the last 1 second of news cast got to learn more. Either he died or a big crocodile died. I liked the crocodile hunter, so don't want him to be dead, but if he is I hope a crocodile ate him.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin was killed in a freak accident while filming a marine documentary, Australian state government sources say.

It is thought the television personality and naturalist died after a stingray's barbed tail pierced his chest while he was diving off Port Douglas, the Australian Associated Press reported.

AAP said the Queensland ambulance service received a call about 1pm (NZT) today and a emergency sevices helicoptor was rushed to Batt Reef off Port Douglas. [continued]
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3786517a10,00.html

You pretty much had to figure that one day something like this would get him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks - Another Australian icon gone. That only leaves a few left with companies like Vegemite selling out.

R.i.p

I liked the guy's enthusiasm through, very involved and somewhat childlike.

I'm completely amazed. He'd already survived so many close calls I figured he was indestructible.

Rest in peace, mate :frown:

Just saw the news on slashdot. I loved his croc/herp documentaries. :(

Noooo.. :frown:

farewell Mr. Irwin

Of all the dangerous animals this highly energetic and entertaining man has encountered...a freaking stingray...tragedy has no boundaries. We'll miss you Steve.

Thats very sad news, I feel very sorry for his wife and children. What great adventure he had in his life. He will be greatly missed.

Very sad news indeed :frown: :cry:. I have been watching his documentaries for the past many years and I am a great admirer of him and his wife. It was amazing to see his dedication and enthusiasm for animals and wildlife conservation. It was shocking for me when I heard this tragic news. He will be greatly missed (atleast by me).

It's sad, but honestly, did anyone think he would make it as long as he did? The guy was a nut and would grab just about anything if you dared him to.

It reminds me of what they say about mountaineering:

"There are old climbers and there are bold climbers

But there are no old, bold climbers."

I too feel terrible for his wife and kid even though his death was what he lived for.

The tragedy is all the worse when you've seen it coming...

Actually I was a bit sad to hear it. It was almost like I knew him I guess. :frown: Not to forget his two kids, and wife.

What a Legend.

I remember watching him on Animal Planet. It was a good show. Oh well, RIP Steve Irwin.

This is really sad. I had always hoped he actually had more safety precautions in place than we saw on camera...you know, make it look good for the TV, but you really have some guy with a tranquilizer gun as back-up just off camera. I also never really expected he'd get killed on the job; I figured he'd wind up losing an arm or leg at some point and be taken out of commission, but never really expected something bad enough to kill him would happen. Seeing his show on Animal Planet always showed not just his respect and compassion for animals, but for the staff at the zoo too. I'm sure he'll be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Rest in Peace.

Steve Irwin.

what's really ironic is a stringray is like the least of his worries. The barb went through his heart, otherwise it would have just hurt a lot. Stingray's aren't a common way to die for any diver or rec swimmer. Bummer that it hit spot-on.

R.I.P. Steve Erwin

It's really sad, he will be missed.

Very sad it's kind of hard to belevie(kind of like how elvis di...went into hidding and faked his death..):cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lets give Terri and her kids free liftime premium memberships with ment...No PF adimn previlages. .:smile:

He was filming a documentary titled "The Ocean's Deadliest Creatures."

And the incident was caught on film. This is a really tragic freak accident, everyones thoughts are with Steve's family.

when you play with fire long enough you get burned.

The guy on CNN is being such a jerk. I'm a callous individual, but I would never say anything bad to irwin's family and friends. Anderson Cooper is interviewing irwin's best friend and has no tact.

I read a Yahoo article that mentioned the incident was caught on video tape, including the part where Irwin is pulling the barb out of his chest.

Irwin apparently swam/passed over the top of the sting ray, which prompted a defensive response from the ray - it's tail went up and it barbed him.

When people get stung by sting rays, it's usually because they step on them while wading in water, and the ray whips up its tail and catches people in the foot or leg.

If he deliberately swam over the ray, he was courting danger.

This is sad. Irwin did a lot of good for conservation.

I expected that Irwin and others like him would eventually make a mistake and get themselves killed. And as rare as it is, something like this stingray strike makes the most sense really. Irwin was an expert at crocs and poisonous snakes. When pushing the edge with animals not within his domain of expertise, he was most vulnerable.

One of his friends and colleagues mentioned that they thought that if he was killed on the job, it would likely be in the ocean. On land Steve was agile, quick-thinking and experienced, but in the water, it's more complicated. Things can happen unexpectedly and without warning. There are special outfits of thin wire mesh or kevlar that can be warn by divers, but they are not too common, usually only used if diving with sharks. I still can't believe he swam over the top of the ray, or allowed it to swim underneath - that is just asking for it - which is apparently what happened. :frown:

I used to find stingrays in the water around Galveston, but mostly small ones about the size of one's arm. One just treats them with respect and exercise caution. Same goes for sharks.

Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonizing injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet.

"It's not the going in that causes the damage, it's the coming out where those deep serrations kind of pull on the flesh, and you end up with a very jagged tear which is quite a pronounced injury," said Dr Bryan Fry, deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060905/people_nm/australia_irwin_dc_12 - Reuters on Yahoo

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to understand why he draws so much criticism about risk-taking while other people who are trained to do otherwise dangerous jobs (police officers, firefighters, pilots, astronauts, people working in biosafety labs, herpetologists working with the same exact animals as Steve) are respected for doing a job that they think needs to be done and benefits others. I suppose it might be that people think he took extra risks in order to make his work entertaining, but that's exactly what his job was. He wasn't trying to get herpetologists to care about reptiles. He was trying to reach the people who didn't already care about -- and might otherwise have killed -- the animals that he was working to protect.

I guess it's to be expected that a lot of people think what he was doing was especially dangerous and exciting. It just makes me sad to see him and his work go unappreciated. He succeeded in changing my view and knowledge of animals.

Has anyone ever heard specific criticisms of his safety practices from people who are qualified to make them?

The only real criticism that I have heard was when he hung his kid in front of a croc. Beyond that, I expected that the risks would become greater as a function of the desire for ratings.

Irwin seemed to me like a true conservationist and he was probably a great guy. Still, you never know about these guys and the tactics used for ratings. Marty Stouffer did a series for years called "Wild America". At one point his crew rebelled and went public with all sorts of stories. Allegedly, for example, a deer found dead with its head stuck in a tree trunk was alive until placed there by Stouffer. It was made to look like a natural event, but the crew claimed that Stouffer killed the deer for a good shot. There were many similar claims but I don't know how many turned out to be true. Still, since then I have been suspicious of TV conservationists.

A buddy of mine made an interesting comment. He wouldn't allow his kids to watch Irwin. He doesn't want his kids thinking that one can approach wild animals at will.

Last edited:
Ok, it's been over a day.

It seems he'd used lots of sun cream that day, but it hadn't been enough to protect him from the harmful rays.

what would have happened had he not pulled out the barb from his heart? would it have been the same, or would he have died from the poison in the barb?