Problem with acceleration & distance/displacement:

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car traveling at a certain speed and needing to stop to avoid hitting a deer. The different calculations and equations used to solve the problem are discussed, as well as recommendations for learning and understanding physics. The main point is that the correct kinematic equation must be used, and the problem can be solved without needing to know the time.
AznBoi
I have showed my work and gotten an answer but it differs from the actual answer in the back of the book. Thanks for your help!

A driver in a car traveling at a speed of 60mi/h sees a deer 100m away on the road. Calculate the minimum constant acceleration that is necessary for the car to stop without hitting the deer (assuming that the deer does not move in the meantime).

My answer is DIFFERENT from the actual answer:

First I converted 60mi/h into m/s:

(60mi/h) x (1609m/mi) x (1h/3600s) = 26.82 m/s

Then I divided 26.82 by 100m : 100/26.82 = 3.73m/s^2

So it's -3.73m/s^2 because it is slowing down??

Did I do the problem wrong? It seems so short so I think I did.

The acutal answer was -3.6m/s^2 What happened??

Physics news on Phys.org
AznBoi said:
Then I divided 26.82 by 100m : 100/26.82 = 3.73m/s^2
This step isn't correct, you can check what your doing by using dimensional analysis - check your units;

[tex]\frac{velocity}{distance} = \frac{m.s^{-1}}{m} = s^{-1} \neq m.s^{-2}[/tex]

You need to use kinematic equations to solve this question. Excellent thread presentation though :smile:

Take care of your units, you don't get acceleration by dividing a distance with a velocity!
Instead, proceed as follows with x for position, v for velocity and a for acceleration:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=a\to\frac{dv}{dt}v=av\to\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{1}{2}v^{2})=\frac{d}{dt}(ax)[/tex]
where I've used the fact that "a" is constant.
Thus, integrating between initial time and the time when x=100 and v=0, you get:
[tex]-\frac{1}{2}(26.82)^{2}=a*100[/tex]

Oh, so is there a proper kinematic equation for every problem??
I don't know which one to use, am I suppose to use the average acceleration one?

a= (delta)v/(delta)t Cause I'm trying to find the average acceleration right? V would be 26.82m/s , but what is the time?? They don't give it.

Btw, we don't have textbooks or anything so I have no book source.

What book would you guys recommend me buying to learn Physics B from the start?

I'm a sophomore and I'm in precal.. so I don't know how to use calculus to solve them and I don't understand many things in PHysics!

There is only ONE kinematic equation, with varying additional info given for any particular problem.

In your case, that additional info is first and foremost that the acceleration is CONSTANT.
Read my previous post.

In particular, you'll see that under the assumption of const. acc., you don't NEED the time in order to solve your problem!

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
ok I don't really understand any of the equations that you guy put down but I will look at the sources you gave me. Thanks to you both! =]

Physics is very hard.. I mean not only do you need to use algebra but you need to use your head aswell! a lot too. =[ My brain isn't quite expanding.

AznBoi said:
ok I don't really understand any of the equations that you guy put down but I will look at the sources you gave me. Thanks to you both! =]

Physics is very hard.. I mean not only do you need to use algebra but you need to use your head aswell! a lot too. =[ My brain isn't quite expanding.
No problem, if you have any question or need any further help don't hesitate to come back :smile: Stick at the physics though :wink:

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=a\to\frac{dv}{dt}v=av\to\frac{d}{dt} (\frac{1}{2}v^{2})=\frac{d}{dt}(ax)[/tex]

I don't get what d- derivative is. I've read about it and it confuses me. Also what are the arrows and how did you get v-velocity to be placed in there.

so how did dv/dt= a -> dv/dt x v?? confusing.. =P

This page may explain the calculus more clearly;
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acons.html#c2

I understand that this stuff may be a bit overwhelming for a pre calc, I would simply recommend learning the formulae without knowing how to derive them before you reach calc.

ok, I'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks again! :smile:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(ax) = \frac{da}{dt}x + a\frac{dx}{dt} = av[/tex], since [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=v[/tex] and a is constant (so [tex]\frac{da}{dt}=0[/tex]).

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity that describes how an object's speed and direction are changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final positions of an object. Displacement takes into account the direction of motion, while distance does not.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. When an object experiences acceleration, its speed and/or direction of motion changes. This can result in the object speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

5. What are some common problems with acceleration and distance/displacement?

Some common problems with acceleration and distance/displacement include not accounting for direction in calculations, not using the correct units (such as using meters instead of kilometers), and not understanding the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration. It is important to carefully consider all factors and use the correct formulas when dealing with these concepts.