Double start - characteristic frequencies of the light

In summary, an astronomer can recognize a double star by examining the characteristic frequencies of the light that reaches them from its member stars. The motion of the stars will cause their frequencies to shift, with one star being blue shifted and the other being red shifted. By examining the spectral lines, the astronomer can determine the presence of two stars.
mmfoley
How can an astronomer recognize a double star from the characteristic frequencies of the light that reaches him from its member stars? I have looked and looked in my textbook but I cannot come up with the answer to this one.

Thank you!
mmfoley

Science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by mmfoley
How can an astronomer recognize a double star from the characteristic frequencies of the light that reaches him from its member stars? I have looked and looked in my textbook but I cannot come up with the answer to this one.

Thank you!
mmfoley

For a start, the motion of the two stars will shift their frequencies. If as we look from Earth, one is approaching us and the other moving away (as they orbit each other) then their frequencies will be blue and red shifted respectively.

By examining the spectral lines, the astronomer can see that some lines within it are blue shifted and some red. Those that are Red shifted belong to one star, those that are blue shifted belong to the other. This tells us that two stars are present.

thanks

Thank you for the reply and putting me on the right track.

1. What is meant by "double start" in relation to characteristic frequencies of light?

Double start refers to the phenomenon where two waves of light with different frequencies start at the same time and interfere with each other, resulting in a new waveform with characteristic frequencies.

2. How are characteristic frequencies of light determined?

Characteristic frequencies of light are determined by the energy levels of the electrons in an atom or molecule. When an electron transitions between energy levels, it emits or absorbs light with a specific frequency, which can be measured and used to identify the atom or molecule.

3. Can characteristic frequencies of light be observed with the naked eye?

No, characteristic frequencies of light are typically in the ultraviolet or infrared range, which cannot be seen by the human eye. They can only be observed with specialized equipment such as spectrometers.

4. How are characteristic frequencies of light used in scientific research?

Characteristic frequencies of light are used in a variety of scientific fields, including spectroscopy, astronomy, and chemistry. They can be used to identify the composition of a substance, study the properties of molecules, and even determine the distance and chemical makeup of stars and galaxies.

5. Can characteristic frequencies of light be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, characteristic frequencies of light can be manipulated and controlled through the use of various techniques such as diffraction, refraction, and interference. This allows scientists to study and utilize different properties of light for various purposes, such as in telecommunications and medical imaging.