Force and potential energy of a particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the change in potential energy of a particle acted upon by a conservative force. The work-energy theorem and the equation PE = mgh are mentioned as potential methods of solving the problem, but it is determined that the relation between force and potential and their corresponding diagrams are key in finding the total work done and the change in potential energy. The potential is found to be the integral of the force, and it is noted that the work done and the change in potential energy may have opposite signs.
dkgojackets

Homework Statement

A conservative force F(x) = bx + a acts on a 2.61 kg particle, where x is in meters, b = 6.3 N/m, and a = 4 N. Calculate the change in potential energy of the particle as it moves along the x-axis from x1 = .749 m to x2 = 4.81 m.

Homework Equations

work-energy theorem, PE = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was simply 0, since it was going along the x-axis and therefore no change in PEg and no springs or such, but that was wrong. I solved that the work done by the force = 87.3556 J. I also solved initial kinetic energy if the final speed was 16.8 m/s, which was 280.9676. KEi + W = KEf. Where does the potential fall in?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a conservative force, what is the relation between the force and its potential?

I remember doing potential energy diagrams...and force is the negative derivative of one. So potential is the integral of force? That's what I did to determine the total work done, though.

dkgojackets said:
I remember doing potential energy diagrams...and force is the negative derivative of one. So potential is the integral of force? That's what I did to determine the total work done, though.

Right, that's all you have to do. Find the potential and calculate the change.

radou said:
Right, that's all you have to do. Find the potential and calculate the change.

So it is the same as the work done?

dkgojackets said:
So it is the same as the work done?

Yes, it is.

Ack, but negative. Got it now.

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the strength or intensity of an interaction between two objects. It is represented by the symbol F and is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or configuration in a force field. It is represented by the symbol U and is measured in units of Joules (J).

3. How are force and potential energy related?

Force and potential energy are related by the equation F=-dU/dx, where F is the force, U is the potential energy, and x is the position of the object in the force field. This means that the force acting on an object is equal to the negative of the derivative of its potential energy with respect to its position.

4. What is the difference between conservative and non-conservative forces?

Conservative forces are those that do not depend on the path taken by an object, only on its initial and final positions. Examples include gravitational and elastic forces. Non-conservative forces, on the other hand, depend on the path taken and often involve some type of friction or resistance. Examples include air resistance and frictional forces.

5. How does potential energy affect the motion of a particle?

Potential energy is a type of stored energy that can be converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. As a particle moves in a force field, its potential energy changes and can be converted into kinetic energy or vice versa. This conversion of energy is what drives the motion of the particle.