How Do You Calculate the Time and Distance of a Crate in Freefall from a Plane?

• Thread starter Mr Matt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: This will give you the distance between the plane and the crate when the crate hits the ground.In summary, a cargo plane flying at a constant speed of 508 km/hr and an altitude of 13.9 km experiences a crate sliding out of the rear of the plane. Using the golden three equations, it can be determined that the crate takes a certain amount of time to hit the ground, travels a certain horizontal distance before hitting the ground, and is a certain distance from the airplane when it hits the ground assuming the plane remains at a constant speed. With the given equations and information, these values can be calculated by solving for time in the vertical direction and using the same time for the horizontal direction. The horizontal distance of the plane can also
Mr Matt

Homework Statement

A cargo plane flying horizontally at an altitude of 13.9 km with a constant speed of 508 km/hr when a large crate slides out of the rear of the plane
Assume the acceleration of gravity is 9.81 meters/seconds squared.

1)How long does it take for the crate to hit the ground?
2)What is the horizontal distance of the crate from the point it fell off to the point where it hits the ground?
3)How far is the crate from the airplane when the crate hits the ground assuming the plane remains at a constant speed?

Homework Equations

The golden three:

Vf = Vi + (A)(T)
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2(A)(D)
D = (Vi)(T) + 1/2(A)(T^2)
(sorry i don't know how to do the squared simbol)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I drew a diagram of what is described in the problem. We were also talk to make a chart and fill in the values. Once i know what the values are for the charts, i will be able to solve the problem(it is multiple parts). I only need help in solving the values for the charts. The chart is as follows:

Vertical(y)__________Horizontal(x)
Vi- 0 ______________Vx- ?
Vf- ? ______________Dx- ?
A-(-9.8m/s)_________T-?
D- 13.9km
T-?

I know that time is constant on both, and i think i have all the given info in the charts, but i don't really know what to do after this. Please, if anyone could help that would be great, thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about using equation number 3 to solve for time using the vertical components.

You have said that vi in the y direction is 0. Does this tell you anything about vi in the x direction?

But i don't know if you use the vertical or horizontal equations, and I think Vx might be 508 km/hr, but its just a guess. Can anyone confirm this?

Mr Matt said:
But i don't know if you use the vertical or horizontal equations,

Like I said above, use your third equation in the vertical direction to solve for t.
and I think Vx might be 508 km/hr, but its just a guess. Can anyone confirm this?

vi in the x direction = 508 km/h. Note that you should have vi and vf in the x direction, like in the y direction, not just one term vx.

I suggest you use obtain t in the y direction, and then you should be able to solve the other problems using this t (since equal time will be taken for the crate to fall in both the x and y directions).

cristo said:
I suggest you use obtain t in the y direction, and then you should be able to solve the other problems using this t (since equal time will be taken for the crate to fall in both the x and y directions).

kk thanks alot

But then how would u solve for the third question? The third question isn't a variable in one of the following equations right? I'm so confused :(

Mr Matt said:
But then how would u solve for the third question? The third question isn't a variable in one of the following equations right? I'm so confused :(

Presume the plane traveling at constant horizontal velocity. You know the time the crate hits the ground, so calculate the distance the plane travels in this amount of time. Subtract from this the distance from the intial point that the crate hits the ground.

What is gravity?

Gravity is a force of attraction between two objects that have mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating into space.

How does gravity affect freefall?

Gravity is the force that causes objects to fall towards the Earth. In freefall, an object is only affected by the force of gravity, causing it to accelerate downwards at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of location, while weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational force?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational force. This means that objects with more mass will have a stronger pull of gravity, and will fall faster in freefall.

Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

No, gravity is a natural force that cannot be manipulated or controlled by humans. However, we can use technology like rockets and airplanes to overcome gravity and travel through space or fly in the air.