Work Energy Concept Homework: Solving Statement

In summary, the car goes up the hill and gains 7500J in PE, but looses 1000J in KE. The resistance force of 7.5 N is responsible for this.
fffff

Homework Statement

http://xs511.xs.to/xs511/07046/workenergy.JPG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I am all confused on this one.

ok so leave part (I) and (II)

onto part (III)

word done by the pulling force acting on the block = the loss of energy + work done by resisting force

by loss of energy i mean gain in PE - loss in KE

=(7500+225)-(1225)+(7.5 x 200) = 8000J

now I am confused as to whether or not the value of theta is mgsintheta or fscostheta please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't overcomplicate things. The work done by all the forces acting of the block from A to B equals the change in kinetic energy from A to B. Regarding the trig, draw a sketch.

ok then the loss in KE=1000J
but that's not the right answer, there's also resistance forces how do i take that into account and what do you mean by internal and external forces.

http://xs511.xs.to/xs511/07046/trainagent.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
work done by pulling force + work done by resistance force = change in kinetic energy. => (iii) work done by pulling force = change in kinetic energy - work done by resistance force. This should do.

work done by pulling force = 1000 -(7.5x200)=-500 J

i though it was

work done by pulling force= gain in ke + gain in ke + work done by resisting force

but if its loss in ke then we minus it

just bump this up.

Let's take one question at a time:

How would you calculate the answer to i)?

green pandas

loss in KE=1/2m(v^2-u^2)=
1/2(50)(49-9)=1000J

Gain in PE=mgh=(50)(10)(15)=7500J

so has the car goes up the straight hill it gains 7500J in PE but looses 1000J KE.
Because thers a resistance force of 7.5 N, the work done by it=fs=7.5(200)=1500J

So work done py pulling force=(7500-1000)+(1500)=8000J

radou said:
work done by pulling force + work done by resistance force = change in kinetic energy. => (iii) work done by pulling force = change in kinetic energy - work done by resistance force. This should do.

thats wrong

work done by pulling force - work done by resistance=change in kinetic energy

fffff said:
thats wrong

work done by pulling force - work done by resistance=change in kinetic energy

If I wrote '+', that doesn't mean that the work done by resistance doesn't have a '-' to reveal behind its name. :wink:

What is the work-energy concept?

The work-energy concept is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between work, energy, and motion. It states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

How can I solve statement problems involving work and energy?

To solve statement problems involving work and energy, you can use the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This can be expressed as W = ΔKE = KEf - KEi, where W is work, ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy, KEf is the final kinetic energy, and KEi is the initial kinetic energy.

What are the units for work and energy?

The SI unit for work is joule (J), which is defined as the amount of work done when a force of 1 newton is applied over a distance of 1 meter. The SI unit for energy is also joule, as energy is closely related to work. Other common units for work and energy include foot-pound (ft-lb) and calorie (cal).

What are some real-life applications of the work-energy concept?

The work-energy concept is applicable in many real-life situations. For example, it is used in designing roller coasters, calculating the energy required for a car to travel a certain distance, and understanding the motion of objects in sports such as baseball and golf. It is also used in analyzing the performance of machines and engines.

How is the work-energy concept related to the conservation of energy?

The work-energy concept is closely related to the conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. The work-energy concept is a direct result of this principle, as the work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy, which follows the law of conservation of energy.