Work to move Electron & Nuetron

In summary, the problem is asking how much work is needed to move a proton, an alpha particle, an electron, and a neutron from their current positions at the corners of a square with a side length of 4.00×10^-10 m to infinite distances away from each other. The equation to be used is \frac {1} {2} * m_{p} * v_{i}^2 = \frac {1} {4*pi*8.85*10^{-12}} * \frac {Q^2} {R}, where 8.85×10^-12 F/m is the permittivity of free space and 1.60×10^-19 C is the charge on an electron
stylez03

Homework Statement

A proton, an alpha particle, an electron, and a neutron are at rest at the corners of a square whose side length is 4.00×10^-10 m with the electron and neutron at opposite corners.

How minimum an amount of work must be done to move the particles far from each other?

Homework Equations

Use 8.85×10^-12 F/m for the permittivity of free space and 1.60×10^-19 C for the charge on an electron.

[tex] KE_{i} = PE_{f} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {1} {2} * m_{p} * v_{i}^2 = \frac {1} {4*pi*8.85*10^{-12}} * \frac {Q^2} {R} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure what we're trying to solve for. I was wondering if someone could clarify the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not have to consider K.E. here.
THere are oppositely charged particles near each other. HOW much energy is required to separate this configuration from the present state to a new state where al charges are inf. far away from each other.

robb_ said:
You do not have to consider K.E. here.
THere are oppositely charged particles near each other. HOW much energy is required to separate this configuration from the present state to a new state where al charges are inf. far away from each other.

I'm a little confused, is there an equation I can follow?

What equation can I start from to figure out this problem?

1. How does work affect the movement of electrons and neutrons?

Work is a measure of the amount of energy needed to move an object. In the case of electrons and neutrons, work can be applied in the form of electric or magnetic fields that can accelerate their movement. This is the basis for many technologies, such as electricity and magnetism, which depend on the movement of electrons and neutrons.

2. Can work be used to change the properties of electrons and neutrons?

Yes, work can be used to change the properties of electrons and neutrons. For example, electrons can be excited to higher energy levels by applying work in the form of light or heat, which can then be released as photons when the electrons return to their ground state. Neutrons can also be affected by work, such as in nuclear reactions where they can be split or combined with other particles.

3. How does the amount of work affect the movement of electrons and neutrons?

The amount of work applied to an electron or neutron directly affects the amount of energy it gains and therefore, its movement. The more work that is applied, the more energy is transferred to the particle, resulting in a greater acceleration and movement. This is why high-energy particles, such as those found in particle accelerators, require a lot of work to achieve their high speeds.

4. What factors can influence the movement of electrons and neutrons?

The movement of electrons and neutrons can be influenced by various factors, including the amount of work applied, the presence of other particles or fields, and the properties of the particles themselves. For example, the charge and mass of an electron or neutron can affect how it responds to work and its resulting movement.

5. How is work measured in relation to the movement of electrons and neutrons?

Work is typically measured in units of energy, such as joules or electron volts. In the context of electrons and neutrons, work is often measured in terms of the change in energy of the particles. This can be calculated using the equations for work and energy, where work is equal to the change in energy of the particle multiplied by the distance it was moved.