Continuous random variable={-b-(b^2-4ac)^.5}/(2a)=x?

In summary, The factory should have grain in stock at the beginning of a week in order to be 98% certain that the demand in that week will be met.
inv
[Solved]Continuous random variable={-b-(b^2-4ac)^.5}/(2a)=x?

Homework Statement

A factory is supplied with grain at the beginning of ea week.The weekly demand,X thousand tonnes for grain from this factory is a continuous random variable having the probability density function given by
f(x)=2(1-x),0<x<1
0 ,otherwise
Find the quantity of grain in tonnes the factory should've in stock in the beginning of a week in order to be 98% certain that the demand in that week will be met.

*I've found 2 answers but the answer sheet only chose 1 of 'em,found by using the (-b-(b^2-4ac)^.5)/(2a)

Homework Equations

(-b+(b^2-4ac)^.5)/(2a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've integrated f(x) with the lower x value and higher x value 0 and 1 respectively and got:
[2x-x^2]=0.98
0=x^2-2x+0.98
(-b+(b^2-4ac)^.5)/(2a)
x=1.14 and 0.859
*I don't know why the answer sheet chose only the 0.859,why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
inv said:
*I don't know why the answer sheet chose only the 0.859,why?

What's the domain of f in the orginal question?

Domain of f is x,domain is x and range is y.That's what u want?

inv said:

No, sorry, I'll rephrase my question. The function f is only defined for certain values of x. What are these? Are both of your answers in the interval of allowed x values?

No_Only 1 of 'em're,which makes this case solved.Tq so much for making me realize.

inv said:
No, the domain of a function is the set of possible values for x- and those are given in the problem.

Thanks for the reply a bunch Ivy ,bye.

1. What is a continuous random variable?

A continuous random variable is a variable that can take on any value within a certain range, as opposed to discrete random variables which can only take on specific values. Examples of continuous random variables include height, weight, and time.

2. How do you calculate a continuous random variable?

The formula for calculating a continuous random variable is {-b ± (b²-4ac)^(1/2)}/(2a)=x, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. This formula is used for solving quadratic equations.

3. What is the significance of the "a," "b," and "c" in the formula for a continuous random variable?

The "a," "b," and "c" represent the coefficients in a quadratic equation in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0. These coefficients determine the shape and position of the parabola and therefore affect the values of the continuous random variable.

4. Can you provide an example of how to use the formula for a continuous random variable?

Sure, let's say we have the equation x² + 4x - 5 = 0. Using the formula, we can determine the values for a, b, and c: a=1, b=4, and c=-5. Plugging these values into the formula, we get {-4 ± [4²-4(1)(-5)]^(1/2)}/(2*1) = {-4 ± [16+20]^(1/2)}/2 = (-4 ± 6)/2. This gives us two possible values for x: (-4+6)/2 = 1 and (-4-6)/2 = -5. Therefore, the continuous random variable for this equation is x=1 or x=-5.

5. How is a continuous random variable used in statistics?

Continuous random variables are used in statistics to represent data that can take on any value within a range. They are often used to model real-life phenomena and can be used to make predictions and analyze probabilities. In addition, continuous random variables are used in hypothesis testing and regression analysis to analyze relationships between variables and make inferences about a population.