Is there any difference between Miscible and Soluble?

• Thread starter jkh4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, both Miscible and Soluble refer to the physical properties of a substance when it is dissolved in a solvent. Miscible substances can mix with each other, whereas Soluble substances can only dissolve into a solvent.
jkh4
Are there any differences between the terms Miscible and Soluble? I am kind of confuse between these two terms. Are they interchangeable? Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Miscible generally refers to two liquids. Soluble generally refers to a property of a solid in a liquid. Otherwise, spelling is the only difference.

maybe I'm wrong, but, when a substance dissolves, there is an energy change, e.g for NaCl to dissolve in water at rtp, the Delta H is +5kJ/mol

but for miscible substance I'm pretty sure there's no energy change... because the molecules only get between each other...

According to me, miscible word is used only for 2 or more liquids.
Surely the 2 phenonmena have + entropy.
Khshal says there's no change in energy in miscible substances. I am not very sure. But some liquids give off heat when being mixed.

There is indeed heat of mixing for two or more miscible liquids. For miscible liquids, entropy and enthalpy effects are not usually as high as with solids dissolving into liquids. Haiha is correct... some liquids do give off heat when mixed. Some absorb heat when mixed. Heat absorption by mixing two liquids (one saturated salt (LIBr) the other distilled water) is the basis of natural gas and solar-powered absorptive air conditioning.

some substances dissociate when mixed and create heat and others go through an endothermic reaction like ammonium nitrate and water, some you mix and expect to be more and there is less (mix 1 ml with 1ml and get 1.5ml)like isopropyl alcohol and water, that is miscible
the only diffirence i know between miscible and soluble is the person saing it because my science teacher didn't use the word miscible very often, only when we were taking notes and we had to know what it ment, even when we were doing labs. She would refer to liquids being soluble in a liquid.

chemisttree provided an easy understanding to it. miscible simply means two liquids mixing together while soluble is when a solid added in solution and dissolves. i hope its right..

Miscible is said when two liquids can be mixed with each other. Water and oil are not miscible but water and ethanol are miscible.

Soluble is what you call a substance when it can dissolve into a solvent.

Both systems entail a change in entropy and as such will cause the exchange of energy with the surroundings.

I think

To my best understanding that the words miscible and soluble that our friend mentioned here is talking about the physical properties of the solute and the solvent.
as I know that when we mix substances together they are aither miscible or unmiscible. However, "soluble" refers to dissolving of a solid substance which we call solut into a large amount of solvent which is another substance. There are of course that energy require because of entropy of the system have changed when the solute is dissolve. Howeve, physically, the solubility of a solid is depend on its solubility constant Ksp.
I think that we hav talk so far into the energy concept of a physical problem.
My reply is utmost to my knowledge, but I am sure that comment is necessary. Please feel free to comment so we all can study more about science.
Best regard guys!

Thank you for the explanations :) That really helps!

1. What is the difference between miscible and soluble?

Miscible and soluble both refer to substances that are able to mix or dissolve in each other. The main difference between the two is the degree to which they can do so. Miscible substances are able to mix in all proportions, while soluble substances are only able to dissolve up to a certain limit.

2. Can a substance be both miscible and soluble?

Yes, a substance can be both miscible and soluble. For example, ethanol and water are both miscible and soluble in each other, as they can mix in all proportions and dissolve in each other up to a certain limit.

3. How do I determine if a substance is miscible or soluble?

The best way to determine if a substance is miscible or soluble is by conducting a solubility test. This involves mixing a small amount of the substance with a known amount of a solvent and observing if it completely dissolves or forms a separate layer. If it dissolves completely, it is soluble, and if it forms a separate layer, it is miscible.

4. Are there any factors that affect the miscibility and solubility of substances?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the miscibility and solubility of substances, including temperature, pressure, and the chemical properties of the substances. For example, increasing temperature can increase the solubility of some substances, while decreasing it for others.

5. Are miscible and soluble substances interchangeable terms?

No, miscible and soluble are not interchangeable terms. As mentioned earlier, miscible substances are able to mix in all proportions, while soluble substances have a limit to how much they can dissolve in a solvent. Therefore, while all miscible substances are soluble, not all soluble substances are miscible.