How to get output voltage from the tachometer output

In summary, the conversation is about finding the transfer function for a dc motor. In order to do so, the speaker needs to obtain a graph of the dc motor's output voltage versus time with a step input. However, the output of the dc motor is in RPM, so a tachometer must be used to measure the speed. The speaker asks about the types of tachometers that can be connected to an oscilloscope to display the RPM value. The other option discussed is using a magnetic pick up with a small wheel or gear teeth to trigger a pulse and measure the speed based frequency.
fadli
I have an assignment to find out the transfer function for the dc motor. In order
to get the transfer function for the dc motor, I need to get the dc motor graph, that means output voltage versus time when we applied step input to the dc motor. The problem is, the output of dc motor is in RPM. so I need to use the tachometer to get the speed of dc motor. So, what types of tachometer that can connected to oscilloscope in order to show the output voltage which represent the RPM value. other way, how to get the output voltage for dc motor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
We use simple magnetic pick ups a lot of times. We put a small wheel with interruptions or use gear teeth as the triggers. When the triggers pass the pick up it gives you a pulse and thus a speed based frequency.

To get the output voltage from the tachometer output, you will need to use a tachometer that has a voltage output signal. This type of tachometer is typically called a "voltage output tachometer" or "analog tachometer". These tachometers usually have a voltage range of 0-5V or 0-10V, which can be connected to an oscilloscope to display the output voltage.

To find the transfer function for the dc motor, you will need to plot the output voltage versus time when a step input is applied to the motor. This can be done by connecting the voltage output tachometer to the motor and recording the output voltage using an oscilloscope.

If you do not have access to a voltage output tachometer, you can also calculate the output voltage by using the formula V = ω * K, where V is the output voltage, ω is the angular speed in radians per second, and K is the tachometer constant. The tachometer constant can be found in the tachometer's specifications or by conducting a calibration test.

In summary, to get the output voltage from the tachometer output, you will need to use a voltage output tachometer or calculate it using the formula mentioned above. This will allow you to obtain the transfer function for the dc motor and analyze its performance.

1. How do I convert the tachometer output to voltage?

The tachometer output can be converted to voltage by using a voltage divider circuit. This involves connecting a resistor in series with the tachometer output and measuring the voltage across the resistor.

2. What type of resistor should I use in the voltage divider circuit?

The resistor used in the voltage divider circuit should have a high enough resistance to limit the current flow, but not too high that it affects the accuracy of the voltage measurement. A typical value for the resistor is between 1kΩ and 10kΩ.

3. Can I use any multimeter to measure the output voltage?

Yes, any multimeter with a voltage measurement function can be used to measure the output voltage from the tachometer. Make sure to set the multimeter to the appropriate voltage range before taking the measurement.

4. Is there a formula for calculating the output voltage from the tachometer?

Yes, the output voltage can be calculated using the formula Vout = (Vin * R2) / (R1 + R2), where Vin is the input voltage from the tachometer and R1 and R2 are the resistors in the voltage divider circuit.

5. Are there any other methods for getting output voltage from the tachometer?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) or an operational amplifier (op-amp) circuit. These methods may require more complex circuitry but can provide more accurate voltage readings.