Aerodynamic of shipping contatners on trains

• Thread starter Joe Maxwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trains
In summary: MaxwellIn summary, the number of units in a train effect its aerodynamics. Industrial Design methology was used to develop a new transportation system, and computer modelling was used to determine the aerodynamic smoth shipping contatners and capsules moving in the form of a train would be more efficient than individual cars.
Joe Maxwell
I am developing a new transportation system using Industrial Design methology and need to know aerodynamic smoth shipping contatners and capsules moving in ihe form of a train would be (as described in my blog). How does the number of units in the train effect its aerodynamics.http://www.transportation-system.blogspot.com/

This is a not for profit project and open to anyone.

Thanks
Joe Maxwell

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Joe. Your blog does mention that you are an ID consultant, which borders a bit on advertising (which is not allowed per the PF Guidelines). But your project sounds interesting, so I'm not going to delete the link to your blog at this point.

Also, it's hard to believe that this project is not for profit. Improving the efficiency of the transportation system is going to result in a lot of profit for somebody somewhere...

I am retired and my blog is a labor of love. There are enough people in there trying but with our government and their attitude on transportation it will not be easy, too big and too Bureaucratic. There are billions that can be saved, but I have no idea who could put it together even though it could pay for itself while being built. There would also be a huge amount of resistance from all over. Progress is very costly for many people. Check some of the links on the blog to see what is happening.

Last edited:
Hi, Joe. I don't have time to read more than the 'Concept' section today, but I agree with Berkeman that it's very interesting.
Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere in the document, but I have a quick question. How do you plan to levitate the platforms before you get up enough speed for your ram-air bearings to work? Are they just on wheels until then?
Anyhow, I think that you'll end up having to do wind-tunnel testing to determine your aerodynamics. Computer modelling can get pretty close, but there seems to be something always popping up in real life that a programme doesn't foresee.

Danger,
That is covered. Each platform would have a battery run air turbine to keep it afloat. From what I understand it would only take around 8 lbs. per sq. into hold a loaded shipping container up. It would be somewhat an air conveyer turned up side down.

I don't need exact figures, only comparative ones. Some idea how much more efficient than individual cars.

have a battery run air turbine to keep it afloat.
That would have to be a big battery, which would seem to defeat the purpose of floating the container.

8 psi over the areas of large number of containers would seem to represent a lot of work, and one would seemingly need a generator with distribution system in order to provide sufficient power.

Railroad trains with roller bearings are quite efficient. Rolling resistance and wind resistance (aerodynamics) have been studied extensively.

The battery would only be used to get the platform up to speed on the entrance ramp, out the off ramp and encase of a total power failure. at speed air is rammed into the platform through adjustable scoops. Look at my thoughts on wheels in the problem section.

I still would like to know aerodynamically efficient the capsules and containers would be in the form of a closely coupled train as described in the blog.

Thanks for the comments,
Joe

Last edited:

What is the purpose of studying the aerodynamics of shipping containers on trains?

The purpose of studying the aerodynamics of shipping containers on trains is to understand how air flow affects the movement and stability of these containers during transportation. This information can help improve the design and efficiency of trains and shipping containers, leading to cost savings and improved safety.

How do aerodynamics affect the performance of trains carrying shipping containers?

Aerodynamics can greatly impact the performance of trains carrying shipping containers. If the design of the containers and train is not aerodynamic, it can create drag and resistance, causing the train to use more fuel and potentially slowing down its speed. This can also lead to instability and potential accidents.

What factors influence the aerodynamics of shipping containers on trains?

The shape, size, and surface texture of the shipping container are important factors that influence its aerodynamics on trains. The speed and direction of the train, as well as the surrounding environmental conditions, also play a role in the aerodynamic performance of shipping containers on trains.

How can the aerodynamics of shipping containers on trains be improved?

To improve the aerodynamics of shipping containers on trains, designers can use streamlined shapes, smooth surfaces, and strategically placed fins or spoilers to reduce drag and increase stability. Computer simulations and wind tunnel testing can also be used to optimize the design for maximum aerodynamic performance.

Are there any safety concerns related to the aerodynamics of shipping containers on trains?

Yes, there are safety concerns related to the aerodynamics of shipping containers on trains. If the containers are not designed to withstand high winds or sudden changes in direction, they can become unstable and potentially cause accidents. It is important for designers to consider these factors and ensure the safety of both the containers and the train during transportation.