Solving Ellastic Collisions: Masses mA & mB, Velocity & Height

• Thread starter Paulbird20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary: TYTYIn summary, two balls of masses 40 g and 72 g are suspended at an angle of 60 degrees with the vertical. After an elastic collision, the velocity of the lighter ball is -0.488 and the velocity of the heavier ball is 1.22. To find the maximum height of each ball, the formula l{1 - Cos(theta)} is used, where l is the string length of 30 cm and theta is the angle after the collision.
Paulbird20
Two balls, of masses mA = 40 g and mB = 72 g are suspended as shown in Figure 7-44. The lighter ball is pulled away to a 60° angle with the vertical and released.

(a) What is the velocity of the lighter ball before impact? (Take the right to be positive.)

(b) What is the velocity of each ball after the elastic collision?
ball A
ball B
(c) What will be the maximum height of each ball (above the collision point) after the elastic collision?
ball A
ball B

Ok so i found part A by doing Square root of 2*9.8*.15 and got 1.71 which is correct.
Part B i got -.488 for the velocity of A and it is correct
Part B i got 1.22 for the velocity of B and it is correct

Where i am lost is how to find the heights of each.

I tried doing (.488^2)/ 2 *9.8*sin 60
and i get .01402 m
It is incorrect any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: How did u get "Ok so i found part A by doing Square root of 2*9.8*.15 and got 1.71 which is correct." ??

sin 60 * 30 cm converted to meeters = the .15 and i think you can figure the rest

But i don't see where your going either

Paulbird20 said:
sin 60 * 30 cm converted to meeters = the .15 and i think you can figure the rest

I was basically hinting at this "rest" only! :smile: Use the same approach.

Well, I guess, string length is given to be, l = 30cm. (I am not able to see any figure!)
In that case, height at an angle "theta", with the vertical, is l{1 - Cos(theta)}. Note that, Cos 60 = 0.5, Sin 60 = 0.866. :wink:

that won't give me the right answer because i don't know the angle after colliision.

.3 (1-cos60)=.15 and that is not the height of either after collision

Last edited:
Paulbird20 said:

You are misinterpreting me. When I said, "Note that, Cos 60 = 0.5, Sin 60 = 0.866.", I was saying how could you possibly get "sin 60 * 30 cm converted to meeters = the .15". Instead, the correct formula should have been l{1 - Cos(theta)}.

Of course, you don't know the angle.. that can be calculated once height is known. To calculate height, use the same principle, which you used to obtain the result of part (A).. although in the reverse manner.

ah you i was badly misunderstanding it. I got it now TY

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is conserved. This means that the total energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How do you calculate the velocities of two objects after an elastic collision?

The velocities of two objects after an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. The equations are:
mvA + mvB = mvA' + mvB' (conservation of momentum)
1/2mAvA2 + 1/2mBvB2 = 1/2mA'vA'2 + 1/2mB'vB'2 (conservation of kinetic energy)

3. How does the mass of an object affect its velocity after an elastic collision?

The mass of an object does not affect its velocity after an elastic collision. This is because the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations do not include the mass of the objects. The velocities are only affected by the initial velocities and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of how much energy is lost during the collision).

4. What is the coefficient of restitution and how does it affect an elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much kinetic energy is lost during a collision. It is represented by the symbol e and has a value between 0 and 1. A value of 1 represents a perfectly elastic collision, where no kinetic energy is lost. A value of 0 represents a perfectly inelastic collision, where all kinetic energy is lost. The higher the coefficient of restitution, the less energy is lost during the collision.

5. How does the height of an object affect its velocity after an elastic collision?

The height of an object does not affect its velocity after an elastic collision. The velocities are only affected by the initial velocities and the coefficient of restitution. The height of an object may affect the potential energy of the object, but this does not impact the velocity after the collision.