Just some conceptual stuff about car crashes

In summary, during a crash test, the dummies experience unequal forces and changes in momentum compared to the vehicles they are riding in, due to the difference in masses and relative motions between the vehicles and the dummies. This is because the dummies do not actually collide with each other, but with the interior components of the vehicle they are in.
sadakaa

Homework Statement

During a crash test, dummy x12 has a mass of 80 kg and rides in a 1120-kg car. Dummy y17 has a mass of 80 kg and rides in a 7120-kg truck. The vehicles approach each other with velocities of 30 m/s (about 67 miles per hour) in opposite directions (car heading east). The vehicles collide and their bumpers lock together after the collision. The collision takes 0.015 s to complete.

-You should find that while the car and truck undergo equal and opposite changes in momentum and are subject to equal and opposite forces, this is not true for the dummies. Explain why this is so.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]P = Ft
P = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I did out all the momentum and force work for the cars, but I'm just not sure conceptually how to explain this. It makes logical sense dealing with inelastic collisions, and we constantly see this happen in real life where a passenger is a car is severely injured when hit by a truck/bus/larger object. Any help? I don't think I should be proving this with math, but even so, I'm not sure how. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The forces that the dummies will experience depends on the decelerations of the vehicles during the collision. That is they only experience the force when they hit the inside front of the vehicle - which transfers the force to the dummies via the difference in relative motion between the two (dummy and vehicle). These decelerations will differ due to the different masses of the vehicles since both vehicles experiences the same magnitude of force at all times during the collision.

i figured it out: its because during the collision between the car+truck, its inelastic so momentum is conserved and thus forces is conserved as well (impulse = Ft); however, the two dummies never actually collide with each other and thus do not conserve momentum. Instead the dummies collide with the dashboard/windshield/ground/steering-wheel/soda bottle in front seat.

The forces between the two vehicles are also "generated" due to the difference in their relative motions.

1. How do car crashes occur?

Car crashes occur when two or more vehicles collide with each other or with a stationary object. They can also occur due to loss of vehicle control, such as skidding or hydroplaning.

2. What are the most common causes of car crashes?

The most common causes of car crashes include distracted driving, speeding, drunk driving, and poor weather conditions. Other factors such as vehicle malfunctions and road hazards can also contribute to car crashes.

3. How can car crashes be prevented?

Car crashes can be prevented by following traffic laws, avoiding distractions while driving, maintaining a safe speed, and not driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Regular vehicle maintenance and being aware of potential road hazards can also help prevent car crashes.

4. What should I do if I am involved in a car crash?

If you are involved in a car crash, the first thing to do is check for injuries and call for emergency assistance if needed. Then, exchange information with the other driver(s) and document the scene by taking photos and getting witness statements. It is also important to report the accident to the police and your insurance company.

5. How can I stay safe while driving to avoid car crashes?

To stay safe while driving and avoid car crashes, make sure to always wear a seatbelt, follow traffic laws, avoid distractions, and maintain a safe speed. It is also important to be aware of your surroundings and adjust your driving to weather and road conditions.