What is the matrix for T in a complex number basis?

In summary, the set of complex numbers C is a vector space over R with basis {1, i}. The matrix for the linear transformation T(z) = (3+4i)z in this basis is [3 -4; 4 3]. This can be found by splitting T(1) and T(i) into real and imaginary parts, and putting their coefficients as the columns of the matrix. The matrix of T is real, not i-dimensional.
mrroboto

Homework Statement

The set of complex numbers C is a vector space over R. Note that {1, i} is the basis for C as a real vector space. Define:

T(z) = (3+4i)z

What is the matrix for T in the basis {1,i}

Homework Equations

Dimension of the matrix (n,m) = n x m

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the dimension of this matrix is 1 x i = i. But I don't know where to go from here. We haven't learned matrices for complex numbers, and I'm very confused by the concept of having something as i-dimensional.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be confused about something being 'i dimensional'. The good news is that it is not. It's TWO dimensional. There are TWO 'vectors' in the basis, 1 and i. Split T(1) and T(i) into real and imaginary parts. Their coefficients are the columns of your matrix. Note the matrix of T is REAL.

so T(1) = 3+4i
T(i) = 3i+4i^2 = 3i-4

so Mat T =

[ 3 4
3 -4]

Try it out. 1=(1,0) and i=(0,1) (column vectors). If you do that you should realize that you should put (3,4) and (3,-4) into the columns, not the rows.

So should the matrix be

[3 3
4 -4]

I think it should be
[ 3 -4
4 3 ]

matrixwarrior said:
I think it should be
[ 3 -4
4 3 ]

I agree.

1. What are complex numbers and what is their representation in matrix form?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary part. They are represented in matrix form as a 2x2 matrix with the real part in the top left and the imaginary part in the bottom left. The top right and bottom right elements are both 0. For example, the complex number 3+4i would be represented as [3 0; 4 0].

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers using matrices?

To add or subtract complex numbers using matrices, you simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in the matrices. For example, to add the complex numbers 3+4i and 5+2i, you would add the matrices [3 0; 4 0] and [5 0; 2 0], resulting in [8 0; 6 0].

3. What is the matrix equivalent of multiplying two complex numbers?

The matrix equivalent of multiplying two complex numbers is known as the product of matrices. To find the product of two complex numbers, you multiply the first matrix by the second matrix using the rules of matrix multiplication. For example, to find the product of the complex numbers 3+4i and 5+2i, you would multiply the matrices [3 0; 4 0] and [5 0; 2 0], resulting in [15 0; 20 0].

4. How do you find the inverse of a complex number using matrices?

To find the inverse of a complex number using matrices, you first need to find the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is equal to 0, then the complex number does not have an inverse. If the determinant is not equal to 0, then you can use the following formula to find the inverse: [a -b; -c a]/(a^2 + b^2). For example, to find the inverse of the complex number 3+4i, you would first find the determinant of [3 0; 4 0] which is 12. Then, you can use the formula to find the inverse as [0 -1; -4 3]/25, resulting in the inverse of -4/25 - 3/25i.

5. How are complex numbers used in real-world applications and why are matrices important?

Complex numbers are used in many real-world applications, including electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are especially useful in situations where there are both real and imaginary components, such as in AC circuits or electromagnetic fields. Matrices are important because they allow us to represent and manipulate complex numbers in a concise and efficient manner. They also have many other applications in fields such as computer graphics, economics, and statistics.