Can the Photoelectric Effect Distinguish Between Classical and Quantum Theories?

In summary: This would happen because the amplitude of the E-field would increase over time, which would cause the current to flow through the device faster.
neelakash

Homework Statement

In the photoelectric experiments the photocurrent is proportional to the intensity of the light.Can this result alone be used to distinguish between the classical and quantum theories?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As I know, this feature of photoelectric effect is the only feture that is compatible with classical concepts.So,this cannot be used like that...

[Classical Idea: As you increase the intensity of the light,you are treating the free surface electrons with Electric field and magnetic field of bigger amplitude---Force on them is bigger and they can speed up more promptly giving a bigger value of photoelectric current.]

Please check the classical idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
[Classical Idea: As you increase the intensity of the light,you are treating the free surface electrons with Electric field and magnetic field of bigger amplitude---Force on them is bigger and they can speed up more promptly giving a bigger value of photoelectric current.]

(I am editing my response, as I misread the question the first time.)

It is true that the photocurrent would increase with intensity in the classical theory. A greater intensity was supposed to decrease the time lag before the electron was released, thereby allowing more electrons to be set free in a given span of time and increasing the current. This seems to be roughly what your explanation says, though I wouldn't word it quite that way.

I'm not sure about intensity being exactly proportional to photocurrent in the classical theory, though. I suppose this depends on the mode of absorbing the energy. If the absorbtion rate was proportional to energy, then it would be proportional (since intensity is proportional to energy.)

Last edited:
Neelakash: Check your classical explanation. An EM wave is made up of an alternating E-field. Why should a larger amplitude in an alternating E-field produce a larger dc current?

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
This is extremely misleading.

Yes, I have edited my response. I hope I did not mislead anyone too badly. :frown:

Neelakash: Check your classical explanation. An EM wave is made up of an alternating E-field. Why should a larger amplitude in an alternating E-field produce a larger dc current?

The electron was supposed to have a way of gradually absorbing the energy, until at some point the accumulated energy was enough to free it.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or higher. It was first discovered by scientist Heinrich Hertz in 1887.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect works by the absorption of photons (particles of light) by atoms in a material. When the energy of the photons is high enough, they can cause electrons in the material to be emitted, creating an electric current.

3. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is significant because it helped to prove the particle nature of light and led to the development of quantum mechanics. It also has many practical applications, such as in solar panels and photodiodes.

4. What are some examples of the photoelectric effect in everyday life?

Some examples of the photoelectric effect in everyday life include solar panels, digital cameras, and photocells in automatic doors. It is also used in light sensors for streetlights and in photoelectric smoke detectors.

5. How did Einstein contribute to our understanding of the photoelectric effect?

In 1905, Albert Einstein proposed the theory that light is made up of particles called photons, which helped to explain the photoelectric effect. He also received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921 for his work on the photoelectric effect.