Areas of study & Career opportunities

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's interest in physics, specifically astrophysics and theoretical physics. The definition of astrophysics is mentioned, along with other areas of theoretical physics such as superconductivity, quantum computing, and soft matter. The conversation also touches on career opportunities in these fields, including research and teaching at universities.
Adam Rich
Hello,

I'm currently a sophomore in high school and have recently become very interested in physics. I do have a respectable number of questions, in which I apologize for any of those who will be reiterating what has been said in previous topics; however I've yet to find any threads which have given me direct answers to what I'm looking for.

I love astronomy. The beauty and elegance of the universe (no reference to Greene's book intended) is just spectacular. For this reason, the prospect of being an "astrophysicist" obviously sounds rather appealing. Question is: what exactly is (or is it are?) astrophysics?

Secondly, what all is there to theoretical physics? I know of superstring theory being labeled as theoretical physics; but what else does the field entail?

Thirdly, what are the career opportunities available for these fields? If I were to be employed at a university, what else is there other than just teaching (which is far from an attractive thought)? What sort of research facilities/government organizations/etc would be in sight (and, more importantly, what in the heck will I be doing)?

Responses are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
Astrophysics: physics on a length scale greater that 10^8 m. (That's the diameter of the earth.)

As for theoretical physics - well, string theory and particle physics get all the press - but there's really a lot more to it than that. Theoretical physicists also work on predicting the behaviour of slightly larger systems:

- superconductivity (modeling the underlying physics of materials which carry electric current without resistance at low temperatures)

- quantum computing (designing a computer - and algorithms - which use the property of "spin" rather than charge)

- "many-body" systems (exactly what it sounds like - a physics problem with lots of bodies). I bet you can write down the equations of motion for two gas molecules in a box - but can you write down the equations of motion for 10^23 gas molecules? And what do the macroscopic ideas of "pressure" or "temperature" have to do with the momentum of each molecule? And what happens if the molecules are the size of sand grains?

- "soft" matter (predicting how proteins fold, predicting how crystals form from polymers, explaining how biological molecules behave at different temperatures)Anyways, there are lots of cool experiments out there, so don't limit yourself to just theoretical physics!

oedipa maas said:
Astrophysics: physics on a length scale greater that 10^8 m.

That's an interesting way to describe it. I've never heard it said that way before, but it's true.

Adam Rich said:
Thirdly, what are the career opportunities available for these fields? If I were to be employed at a university, what else is there other than just teaching (which is far from an attractive thought)? What sort of research facilities/government organizations/etc would be in sight (and, more importantly, what in the heck will I be doing)?

Career opportunities are diverse. To get an idea of what a researcher in astrophysics does, I recommend reading some of the interviews here: http://www.astromiror.org/research.html#astro. If you're interested in working at a college or university, you can read some of the interviews here: http://www.astromiror.org/faculty.html. That will give you some idea of what's involved in those career paths and who is hiring.

What are the most popular areas of study?

The most popular areas of study vary depending on the current job market and societal trends. However, some consistently popular areas of study include business, computer science, engineering, and healthcare.

What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in science?

The career opportunities for those with a degree in science are vast and diverse. Some common career paths include research and development, teaching, healthcare, environmental science, and technology. With a strong background in science, individuals can also pursue careers in fields such as law, business, and government.

Do I need to have a specific degree to work in a certain field?

While some fields may require a specific degree or certification, many industries value a strong foundation in science and critical thinking skills. For example, someone with a degree in biology may be able to work in the pharmaceutical industry, healthcare, or environmental conservation.

What skills do I need to succeed in a scientific career?

Some essential skills for success in a scientific career include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and communication skills. Additionally, being adaptable and open to learning new technologies and techniques can be beneficial in a rapidly advancing field.

What resources are available for exploring career opportunities in science?

There are many resources available for exploring career opportunities in science, such as career fairs, networking events, and online job search platforms. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer career counseling and workshops to help individuals navigate their career paths in science.