Is Linux Too Complicated for the Average User?

• Thread starter damgo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Os
In summary, the conversation revolved around different operating systems and their advantages and disadvantages. The majority of users preferred Windows XP for its reliability and stability, while others preferred Linux for its security and flexibility. Some had also tried Windows 2003 Enterprise Server and had mixed reviews about its security and compatibility with certain applications. There was also a discussion about future versions of Windows and the desire for a more revolutionary user interface. Overall, there was a general consensus that Linux and Windows are different in terms of interface and functionality, but both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

What OS do you use the most?

• Windows 2000/XP

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • Windows 95/98/ME

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • Linux

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Other UNIX

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • MacOS X

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Older MacOS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
For me it's Solaris 8 (on an old Ultra 5) and that's because I haven't bought any new hardware recently to build a new, faster i386 arch machine. Thus I'm stuck with this for now as my main workstation.

I run Debian as well, but that's on my old 333MHz CPU that works only as the firewall workhorse. I Don't want to bog it down with running X.

<sigh> Ultra 5's framebuffer leaves much to be desired, I'm afraid. I have to run the M64 Graphics Accelerator in 1024x768x60 resolution to keep 24-bit TrueColor. Alas no 1280x1024 for me.

...Unless anyone knows a way around this ...that would be nice :wink:

Computer science news on Phys.org
I use win 98se for almost every thing and then use Redhat for the rest. Linux needs to be more user friendly. The fact that redhat won't play mp3's out of the box or many games is a problem for them.

oh, boy. is it that hard to go to the xmms website and download the mp3 plugin.

If your unhappy with redhat, try debian

Most users won't know how to do that. It's stupid that redhat has that problem. I have debian cds right now. I'm going to use it on my next pc and I also use Knoppix STD

I use XP, also sometimes when I need, use 98SE.

Originally posted by Tweek
I use win 98se for almost every thing and then use Redhat for the rest. Linux needs to be more user friendly. The fact that redhat won't play mp3's out of the box or many games is a problem for them.

It isn't stupid. It's a patent issue. From the xmms website:

Redhat 8 shipped without support for mpeg audio due to concerns about patents.

FWIW, Windows doesn't ship with Winamp.

I like XP. It hasn't crashed. It's pretty stable.

I constantly hear how linux is great etc..etc...it's kinda annoying, but for the average Joe Luser who doesn't care to know what these terms are: patch your kernel, update your rpm's, check your version dependencies. It would be just too much aggravation and frustration on their part to use Linux.

Last edited: