Threshold energy of a photoproduction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum energy of a photon in a reaction involving a proton and producing a neutron and pion+. The first suggestion is to consider the total energy of the photon and proton being at least the mass energy of the output, but it is not a satisfying solution. The other suggestion is to use quadrimomentum conservation, but it becomes complex and no solution is found. The OP explains that quadrimomentum refers to 4-momentum and suggests searching for the "invariant mass" which is both lorentz invariant and conserved. They also give a hint to work in the center of mass frame and consider the threshold condition for the final state. One person mentions that this is an easy task and asks for
kknull
hi,
I have the reaction:

(photon) + (proton) ---> (neutron) + (pion+)

I have to find the minimum energy of the photon.
A first condition can be that total energy of photon and proton has to be at least the mass energy of the output, but I don't think this can be a satisfying solution...

When I try to include quadrimomentum conservation, calculus becomes very complex and I cannot find a solution...
Suggestions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
what is "quadrimomentum " ?

Hint: work in center of mass frame -> what is the threshold condition for the final state?

malawi_glenn said:
what is "quadrimomentum " ?

4-momentum, I suspect. :smile:

George Jones said:
4-momentum, I suspect. :smile:

yeah, I also suspected that hehe

OP: search for "invariant mass", that is all you need, that quantity is both lorentz invariant and conserved. Also look at the hint I gave you earlier.

yeah, It is 4-momentum
I have tried both in lab and in center of mass frame, but it is too much complex...

kknull said:
yeah, It is 4-momentum
I have tried both in lab and in center of mass frame, but it is too much complex...

This is infact a super easy task, can you show work done?

Can you try to answer my hint-question, "what is the threshold condition for the final state?"

1. What is the threshold energy of a photoproduction?

The threshold energy of a photoproduction is the minimum amount of energy required for the production of a particle or a system of particles through the absorption of a photon.

2. How is the threshold energy calculated in photoproduction experiments?

The threshold energy is calculated by measuring the energy of the incoming photon and the mass of the target particle. The difference between these two values is the minimum energy required for the production of the particle or system of particles.

3. What factors influence the threshold energy in photoproduction?

The threshold energy in photoproduction is influenced by the mass of the target particle, the energy of the incoming photon, and the quantum numbers of the produced particle or system of particles.

4. What is the significance of the threshold energy in photoproduction experiments?

The threshold energy is an important parameter in photoproduction experiments as it determines the minimum energy required for a particular reaction to occur. It also provides valuable information about the properties of the produced particles and their interactions.

5. Can the threshold energy be changed in photoproduction experiments?

Yes, the threshold energy can be changed by altering the energy of the incoming photon or the properties of the target particle. This allows for the study of different reactions and the exploration of various energy regimes.